Chopping off Shotgun barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mind is blank, I am going to chop off a couple of shotgun barrels for home defense, where do you measure from to cut the barrel to 18” ?

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to measure from the breech face so the best way is to measure a wooden dowel and stick it in the barrel then just make sure it doesn’t stick out!

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and I always use a piece of thread tied to the original bead sight and pulled tight to the receiver to pre Mark where I’m going to drill and tap for a new bead. If you plan to do that make sure you do it before you chop! Good luck

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more safe than that. I measure 18 inchesmfrom the front of the receiver. Call me chicken but some folks government abilities may not include proper tape measuring. Ha ha.
What I was told by a dealer is that they have an 18" dowel that they drop down the bore. That's why he always cut the barrel off at 18-1/4 inches.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have heard recently that the BATFE checks for legal shotgun barrel lengths by closing the action, bolt in battery, dropping a rod down the barrel, marking it, pull it out , tape measure for the required 18” minimum. From the breech face in battery.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always just buy a factory barrel to the length i want so to keep the original in case i want to use it for bird hunting down the road, but each his own and i know some of the older guns thats not a option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom