Chris Murphy: Federal ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban Would Have Prevented Vegas Attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/13/chris-murphy-assault-weapons/
Chris Murphy: Federal ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban Would Have Prevented Vegas Attack
by AWR HAWKINS 13 Oct 2017
..."Moreover, looking at it from another angle, even if we had a ban that really did prohibit such weapons, why would we expect an outcome different that the one we have seen in Paris, where 130 people were gunned down in one night–November 13, 2015–by terrorists with “assault weapons.”"...

Emoney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to say it but no why in hell would limiting the manufacturing, or importation of "assault weapons" Prevented that shooting. It didn't work before 2002 or 2004 whenever it was taken out. Why would re-enacting a proven failed policy help us at all. Man Politicians are just throwing sh** at the board and trying to see what sticks. The man could have done more damage without an "assault weapon". Just like politicians pleading to ban bump stocks. No one really even uses them unless your just having fun with friends or family. there inaccurate and a waste of good ammo and range time. However, its uneducated to ban the item its already been approved by the AFT I hope the AFT says it illegal now. So that the manufactures can file law suits again them. Vegas was just the act of a lunatic and I will fight every attempt to remove any of our rights because of one mans actions its mass punishment. Idk just ranting now but, man this subject get me going. Having said that I would trade bump stocks for the hearing protection act to pass if they would make that deal. :rant:

Last edited:

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll try to ruffle as few feathers as possible, but it really bothers me that people call the perpetrators of such things “mentally ill,” and the acts themselves “senseless acts of violence.” This man was neither senseless, given the cold and calculated manner in which he executed his plan, nor was he mentally ill. Let’s call a spade a spade, shall we? This was a calculated act of evil. These things are done by people who have developed a disdain for being itself, and so it’s not enough to simply kill themselves, they must take everyone they can manage with them. Calling such people simply “mentally ill” or a “lunatic” gives a terrible name to people who are legitimately mentally ill, the greatest majority of which would never be the perpetrator of such an act, because they’re not also evil. This is not to do with mental health so much as it is to with morality.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll try to ruffle as few feathers as possible, but it really bothers me that people call the perpetrators of such things “mentally ill,” and the acts themselves “senseless acts of violence.” This man was neither senseless, given the cold and calculated manner in which he executed his plan, nor was he mentally ill. Let’s call a spade a spade, shall we? This was a calculated act of evil. These things are done by people who have developed a disdain for being itself, and so it’s not enough to simply kill themselves, they must take everyone they can manage with them. Calling such people simply “mentally ill” or a “lunatic” gives a terrible name to people who are legitimately mentally ill, the greatest majority of which would never be the perpetrator of such an act, because they’re not also evil. This is not to do with mental health so much as it is to with morality.
Hopefully you take this in the right spirit.

My feathers are not ruffled, but I am confused by this post. Are you saying that it was a 'sensible act of violence', then? If not senseless, then what else is it? Also how do you know for a fact that he wasn't mentally ill? One can be cold and calculating and at the same time, also be mentally ill.

I agree that most people who suffer from mental illness are not violent, and that we should not stigmatize them, but to state with such certainty that he (Paddock) was not mentally ill, is going rather far out on a limb.

At this point in time, we just don't know that much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom