Christmas in Cozumel Mexico...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I spent a little over a week in Cozumel then we went so see some friends for 2 days in Merida, Mexico.

No I do not have any pictures!!! My wife made me "Check it in" my cell phone and made d@mn sure I didn't have any access to a computer and very little TV time. It was a..."Be Together" Christmas South of the Border.

The food was great, beach was great, Merida was very nice...neat architecture, food, museum and EXCELLENT Mezcal...some were so sweet it tasted like smokey sugar water-even though they were 80-100 proof. I had a Mezcal with a few marijuana leaves/infused...this stuff was extremely sweet and NO...there wasn't an extra buzz. Remember-ANY Tequila or Mezcal with any insect in it is a gimmick for the tourist or college boys. If you can't sit and sip with friends it isn't quality.

My buddy in Merida had some QUALITY Tequila we sipped!!!
Gran Parton Piedra
Gran Patron Estate Release
Herradura Seleccion Suprema
Clase Azul
Don Julio 1942

I did purchase 2 tequila impossible or very difficult to find here in the USA and they're sipping quality!! Then an EXCELLENT Bourbon that's impossible to find in Oklahoma any more...:cry3: Was shopping in a liquor store in all places..Progresso, Mexico....I see 25 bottles of Blantons....go back later that day and there was only 3 bottles left!!!

Sipping Tequila with oranges and cinnamon or chile spices.
glasses-tequila-orange-cinnamon-sticks-260nw-1182358204.jpg

1. Corralejo 99,000 Horas/Anejo....100% Agave
20191229_153804.jpg

2. Aha Toro...100% Blue Agave ..Reposado
20191229_153841.jpg

20191229_153849.jpg

Now...the one I can't wait to try!!!! It's a D@MN shame I have to go roughly 1,302 miles to find this Bourbon!!!!!

3. Blantons:
20191229_153924.jpg

Cheers and Happy New Year....Feliz Ano Nuevo!!!:sunbath:

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I spent a little over a week in Cozumel then we went so see some friends for 2 days in Merida, Mexico.

No I do not have any pictures!!! My wife made me "Check it in" my cell phone and made d@mn sure I didn't have any access to a computer and very little TV time. It was a..."Be Together" Christmas South of the Border.

The food was great, beach was great, Merida was very nice...neat architecture, food, museum and EXCELLENT Mezcal...some were so sweet it tasted like smokey sugar water-even though they were 80-100 proof. I had a Mezcal with a few marijuana leaves/infused...this stuff was extremely sweet and NO...there wasn't an extra buzz. Remember-ANY Tequila or Mezcal with any insect in it is a gimmick for the tourist or college boys. If you can't sit and sip with friends it isn't quality.

My buddy in Merida had some QUALITY Tequila we sipped!!!
Gran Parton Piedra
Gran Patron Estate Release
Herradura Seleccion Suprema
Clase Azul
Don Julio 1942

I did purchase 2 tequila impossible or very difficult to find here in the USA and they're sipping quality!! Then an EXCELLENT Bourbon that's impossible to find in Oklahoma any more...:cry3: Was shopping in a liquor store in all places..Progresso, Mexico....I see 25 bottles of Blantons....go back later that day and there was only 3 bottles left!!!

Sipping Tequila with oranges and cinnamon or chile spices.
glasses-tequila-orange-cinnamon-sticks-260nw-1182358204.jpg

1. Corralejo 99,000 Horas/Anejo....100% Agave
View attachment 149761

2. Aha Toro...100% Blue Agave ..Reposado
View attachment 149763
View attachment 149766

Now...the one I can't wait to try!!!! It's a D@MN shame I have to go roughly 1,302 miles to find this Bourbon!!!!!

3. Blantons:
View attachment 149765

Cheers and Happy New Year....Feliz Ano Nuevo!!!:sunbath:

Where in the heck did you find the Blantons in Progresso? I'll be there shortly. It's hit or miss in some of those stores. Found Jameson Black Bush for $5 in one store for a fifth, and bought every one they had last year. $30+ in Ok.
Sipping stuff, and only have one left.
There are certainly some unique tequilas there in fancy decanters cheap. Bringing that stuff back across the border, we stop at the Tx tax commission station and pay $2 tax per bottle. Some sneak it through, but I'm not going to jail for $2.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beer man here. To me, tequila, even good tequila, tastes like crap. We were in Seattle a few years back and My niece, who lives in Mexico, came up with some and when I tasted it, I thought I had just tasted diesel oil.

Now, if you come with some Stella Artois Belgian beer, I'll gladly help you drink that.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gerhard1.....I agree with different tequila. Some tequila and mezcal tastes like toilet bowl water and the ones with worms and scorpions are just gimmicks!!! Over the years the refinement and development has improved immensely.

It's like this: Pearl Beer ....I can't even stand the smell of this swill.
Then there are a ton of good quality beer.

With tequila and mezcal....research,research,research.....did I mention research. Then sample and find what you like.

I didn't think I COULD find some "good" mezcal but a few days ago I had various brands that went from a smokey honey sweet to various smokey flavor. Just like trying to find good to great beer.

If you ever get to...try Pliny the Elder and if your at the brewery...try Pliny the Younger beer. Then if you can find it try Zombie Dust beer.

They're very good and are always rated high at the website..rate beer.

I also like the regulars....Shclitz, Lone Star, Pilsner Urquell, Santa Fe Octoberfest, Moose Drool, Carta Blanca, .....it goes on and on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't the normal thing but one of our "happy hour" drinks is the Mexican Flag.
Every thing one shot glass full.
Hornito's respato
lime juice
Clamato
Three shot glasses, and you start with the Hornito's then sip each in succession. This is not shots, just sips of each in succession.

Latest posts

Top Bottom