Chronographs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
just played with our new chrony alpha master this weekend.we were getting some crazy numbers in the 4-5000 range when shooting 9mm and a few others.we were obviously doing something wrong.could not even get 45 colt to register.shot a little 40 and some 223 through it also.we had limited time and didn't get to use it much.seems like different guns needed to be shot a different distances from the chrony.anybody have some helpful hints to speed up the learning curve?

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the users manual

Distance of Chrony unit from muzzle:
Air gun, .22 Rim fire => 3FT
Bow & Arrow =>4FT
Shot gun =>5FT
.30-30=>8FT
Large rifle=>10FT to 15FT

Was the day cloudy or overcast? Was the unit in bright sun? Were you using the diffusers or just the wire frames?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a PACT.
More important than the brand is the lighting conditions. Direct sun shining into the sensors will cause all manner of misses and erratic readings. Also, when the sky is deep, deep, blue, excekkent diffusers are needed for the electric eye to see the bullet. Putting the sensors in open shade or using on a cloudy day gives good results. RTFM.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an old Chrony. Ca'nt remember which on, but is's one of the older ones. I've been happy with it. Easy to set up and easy to use. None of the fancy new features though that might make a trip to the range a little more productive. But it serves me well.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Chrony (with removeable display) and it has served me well. The above suggestions are good, lighting is key.
Got it on sale at Midway for like $79.

Latest posts

Top Bottom