Chrony Recommendations !!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
never shot through, nor been around a chrony...... so with my limited experience being the internet I wanted to ask you seasoned users what would be the best buy for a newbie that simply wants to record velocity and perhaps energy.... something simple, easy to use outdoors and won't break the bank...

I've heard ProChrony is a good one that will do what I need and they're on sale for 99.... but thought I'd ask your advice and open the horizon a bit before I pull the trigger....

just wanting something to see where my various loads are coming in, yeah they shoot fine but what are they really doing??

thx,
Rob

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used several brands over the years, but the easiest to use and cheapest in my opinion is the Shooting Chrony http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Chro...1434329788&sr=8-3&keywords=bullet+chronograph
I currently have the shooting chrony beta master and love it. I also have a Pact timer/chronograph unit and when it works its good also, unfortunately its giving errors again in velocity data. The advantage of the Beta Master is the detachable display which also has the electronics. Your original comment of having never shot through a chronograph made me think "if you get one you will..." Its really easy to shoot your chronograph if you don't pay attention to the scope offset above the barrel. Jim

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have the Chrony Beta Master. I caught it on sale at Midway a couple years ago. It does everything that I need. I would highly recommend the remote display on any chronograph. Having the display/controls right there with you is a big plus if there are other shooters on the firing line. It is also cheaper to repair if it does get shot.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily saying anything against what has been mentioned above but if I were you I would bite the bullet and buy one of these. They won't give you anywhere near the problems the others will. We all love to shoot and get data from our chronographs and there's nothing more frustrating than a chronograph that doesn't register your shots.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628777/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1535699-labradar-my-personal-radar

http://www.longrangehunting.com/store/labradar-chronograph.html

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought PACT and never have any trouble with it, but I had been using the marvelous Oehler (borrowed) for years, and understood how to set one up to avoid sensor trouble with sun angle, blue sky, shooting too close, etc.
Some other local folks bought the PACT and go nuts trying to use it, from what I've seen mostly due to placement problems with the sensitive sensors. If the unit works OK on a full overcast day and acts goofy on blue sky days, its not broken.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod I bought the infrared skyscreens to go with the pact and had no problems with sensors, my problem is with the electronics going wonky.. I have to send it back to them for repair, even the timer function is nutz...

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magnetospeed and never look back. It has been proven to be as accurate as units costing 2 times as much and has less issues than most other types. I have been using mine for about 6 months now, generally it sees close to 100 rounds a month between me and my shooting partner. I have yet to have an issue. Even have the thing strapped to my barrels during load development and have seen no ill affects. Groups may change slightly, always for the better. POI will change mostly due to deflection as Bryan Litz puts it.

Best part is, I don't have to hold others up if I am at a public range / gun club in order to set it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom