Chrony Recommendations !!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use a caldwell balistics chrono for about 75 bucks. magnetospeed is great but is limited to a firearm with a rail or a barrel long enough to strap it on to. cant use it with a ton of semi automatic pistols or any archery.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i use a caldwell balistics chrono for about 75 bucks. magnetospeed is great but is limited to a firearm with a rail or a barrel long enough to strap it on to. cant use it with a ton of semi automatic pistols or any archery.

Its one of the only chrony's that work with a shotgun from what I've read.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7stw... try graf and Sons.. They had them in stock last week. www.grafs.com I believe that's the correct web address. Good Luck!

Just saw your post. I received my magnetto speed about the date of your post. So far it's worked great. Haven't had the chance to use it a bunch yet but my 7-08ai is exceeding my expectations even with the 21" barrel ! Very simple to use haven't had a chance to check it against a traditional chrony yet but so far really impressed with it.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My chrony F1 has treated me well I have shot shotguns through it at close range.
My arrows work through it as does my model 94 30-30 which the magneto speed will not attach to that gun.
At least the one a guy had at the range the other day.

I did have my F1 and a new load for my 30-30 with 8208XBR and 150gr flat point went 2397fps. not very accurate though.
Could be that i have shot lead through it for the last 2 years and never cleaned it, or i need to play with seating depth etc... The lead loads shoot great. 1800-1900fps 170gr.

OutdoorShooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw your post. I received my magnetto speed about the date of your post. So far it's worked great. Haven't had the chance to use it a bunch yet but my 7-08ai is exceeding my expectations even with the 21" barrel ! Very simple to use haven't had a chance to check it against a traditional chrony yet but so far really impressed with it.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I've been busy making ammo and not checking back on here. But I'm glad to see you got yours and you like it.. I just used mine this weekend testing some new cowboy loads we are producing.. I also grabbed the cable to hook it to my ipad.. don't know if you go that, but it's really nice to have..

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been busy making ammo and not checking back on here. But I'm glad to see you got yours and you like it.. I just used mine this weekend testing some new cowboy loads we are producing.. I also grabbed the cable to hook it to my ipad.. don't know if you go that, but it's really nice to have..
I'm pretty bummed you cannot run it connected to the iPhone/iPad realtime. Hopefully they will make changes to that as well as allow it to grab more than the active string of shots. Mine has been a bit finicky about connecting.

Regardless it is an amazing piece of equipment. I'm so glad I spent the extra money over the standard optical chronographs and their headaches.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used my F1 today with my 45's and my A5 12 gauge browning. Some winchester super speed loads stated 1250fps on the box and the F with my full choke browning sent then through at 1260fps.
Universal winchester loads clocked 12 fps faster than the rating on the box.
I had 45 Colt loads I was playing with at upper 400fps to upper 1100fps. The slow load was really fun and would roll tin cans until you ran out of ammo.

It is just really basic no frills Chronograph .
When you get one you will have much fun with it.

I have set mine 100 yards out and shot my rifle through it to get a speed to do some trajectory calculations.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a pro chrony digital.... basic, does what I needed it to and only cost 89 shipped on amazon... it was the only "used" one they had saved an extra 10 bucks... "used" by amazon standards can simply mean a damaged or worn looking box, and thats what I got....

I would recommend this to anyone new to reloading, its amazing how short my loads fall in comparison to factory ammo....I'm surprised many of my loads even cycled the slide :p

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magnetospeed and never look back. It has been proven to be as accurate as units costing 2 times as much and has less issues than most other types. I have been using mine for about 6 months now, generally it sees close to 100 rounds a month between me and my shooting partner. I have yet to have an issue. Even have the thing strapped to my barrels during load development and have seen no ill affects. Groups may change slightly, always for the better. POI will change mostly due to deflection as Bryan Litz puts it.

Best part is, I don't have to hold others up if I am at a public range / gun club in order to set it up.
I'm not sold on this Magnetospeed yet. Im trying to but just cant get past the impact change and groups may change in load development. I like to use the chronograph for load development while testing accuracy and sighting in rifles at the same time to keep round count down some. Ive used both Pro Chrony and Shooting Chrony and found both work great if you follow the instructions. The accuracy of most chronographs usually range from 99.5% to 99.9% with a difference of about 10 fps at 3000fps. So yes the Magnetospeed is as accurate as units that cost 2x as much and also 2x-3x as less. It doesn't do well with arrows or a lot of pistols. Not to say I wont have a Magnetospeed in the future for ease of use at a public range and bad lighting conditions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom