Chuck Yeager will not be down for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An old friend that passed a couple years ago liked to tell the story about Yeager keeping him up late drinking in the officers club that couldn't close as long as a general officer was present.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those 50,s and early 60,s test pilots were indeed larger than life with Yeager at the top. My dad was an areonautical engineer with Hughes aircraft in those days at Holloman Air force base in New Mexico. I remember going to work with my dad when they were testing the Phantom II/F-4 fighter. They were doing pylon tests on on the deck manuverebility. One pilot named Joe Eastman, a contemperary of Yeager's was flying and my dad was vectoring him to get as close to the pylons as he could as fast as he could. His call sign Was whistler 47. Dad called out Whistler 47 bank as close to pylon 18 as you feel safe doing....the reply was instant and he ment it! This is Whistler 47, how many coats of paint do you want scraped off of pylon 18! They WERE a special breed!

Last edited:

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A true All-American hero! From an Army Private to Fighter Pilot Ace in WWII! There will only ever be a very few men on the planet with Chuck Yeager's skill and bravery!

RIP General Yeager

Latest posts

Top Bottom