Church security team...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was having zero issues with posting. I merely replied to your incorrect statement and what may cause church shooting issues.
Now for factual conversation, how many mega churches have been attacked for a mass shooting, and how many small congregations have been attacked by mass shooters?
I'll let you do the homework that I've already completed so you can get the numbers correct in your head before you reply.

i didn't suggest anything related to causes of shootings. The quote said security was impressive, especially when he was there. I am saying that isn't surprising because there are likely other concerns beyond random shootings involved when he is present. I'm sure there are more concerns about his personal safety and the larger crowds draw. Most churches likely don't have to deal with the side effects of having a 'famous' and wealthy leader.

And it makes sense that larger churches, with higher profiles and more resources would have better security and making them less of a soft target. I'm guessing Oral had some guards in his day and Joel down in Houston, does too.

Last edited:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does part of setting up a security team include instructions to the congregation about what to do in emergency situations? Perhaps a signal of some kind (lights, audible or both) to get on the ground? Need to think about keeping people out of the line of fire.
Fire, tornado and active shooter drills?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Churches, schools, business offices, everyplace where people gather to live their lives need to have emergency plans. The extent of the planning is based on the size and circumstances of that group. Even if only a few, prepared individuals can make a very significant impact in the outcome of any emergency situation. Not everyone will want to be involved in the planning, training, etc, so take those who will and work your plan.

A number of years ago, we had an incident in the plant that I managed. Because of the efforts of a corporate safety manager from Houston, and her insistence that we develope a number of plans, we had no injuries, minimal damage, and the "bad guy" was contained before the deputies arrived.

Planning is worth the effort.

Last edited:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the first meeting of our "saftey team" and i can say I'll be in charge of my own security after seeing that chit show.

Now it's more professional now and I hope they can handle what's needs done, we have an off duty officer there also. However I'd only trust a couple to make a shot that's needed.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. This "idea" is still in its infancy stage. I'm just trying to weigh in with the men of the church and see how many are willing to start some training and learning how to properly use and conceal carry their weapon. Once I get some members who really show initiative, I'll bring the entire plan of action before the church in a Wednesday night business meeting and offer the ladies the opportunity to get involved as well.

My main reason for not including them from the git-go, is because this type of subject matter definitely has an R rating. It's not for the faint of heart which includes most sweet little old church ladies.
Didn't you say your daughter would also carry. Why not have her try and get the ladies together. My mother isn't into firearms, almost to the point of being anti-gun. When my wife got a nice Sig Sauer to conceal, my mom noticed the excitment and is taking her CC class in two weeks. Im sure it will be the first time she's shot a gun.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to Victory Life in Durant. It's also a private school, so it has it's own police force. Because it is a school there are "no weapons" signs on the doors and it is illegal to carry. To be a member of the team you must be vetted with background checks etc. Other members are plain clothes and scattered around the building, and in the parking lot. Communication is through cell phones with an app called Zello. Only the Chief dresses in uniform and open carries. Without going into detail, all members of the team carry something that they can use so all other members of the team will know them if an emergency actually happens. They have training once/month, trainer is a retired police officer.

As far as church shootings being a new thing goes, they do go back aways. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daingerfield_church_shooting

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from with wanting to start a church security team at your small church. It can be tough to get a group of older men on board with the idea, but it's great to hear that you received a positive response from most of them. I think it's important to remind them of the importance of protecting their fellow church members of the cool Apostolic Pentecostal Church in Portland and to also remind them of the support that Christ gives to those who protect their own, as you mentioned Luke 22:36. One idea could be to start with basic self-defense training and work up to more advanced training as the team progresses. Best of luck with your security team!
Two year old thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom