CIA operators were denied request for help during Benghazi attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Corrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pretty much. If David Edger was in charge of surveillance over the Hamburg, Germany terror cell of Al-Qeada, why did he not step in when money was transferred to Moussaoui in Norman to pay for flight school? Why when he was arrested in Minnesota after training in Norman was he not flagged? Why were 4 hijackers stopped at Dulles Itn'l Airport, searched, called in, then let aboard the plane like nothing happened? Why did LBJ lie about what happened in the Tonkin Gulf?

Look, I know I won't change your mind about anything, but if you believe Obama knew about this as it was happening, geez louiez, do you not think the gov't had knowledge about any of these other events? Events that were planned for months, if not years, all while being documented under CIA surveillance?

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Breaking news on Benghazi: the CIA spokesman, presumably at the direction of CIA director David Petraeus, has put out this statement: "No one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate. ”

So who in the government did tell “anybody” not to help those in need? Someone decided not to send in military assets to help those Agency operators. Would the secretary of defense make such a decision on his own? No.

It would have been a presidential decision. There was presumably a rationale for such a decision. What was it? When and why-and based on whose counsel obtained in what meetings or conversations-did President Obama decide against sending in military assets to help the Americans in need?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/petraeus-throws-obama-under-bus_657896.html

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a wicked web we weave!

US knew too little to deploy troops to Benghazi: Pentagon

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon defended its decision not to deploy forces to Benghazi, Libya, as soon as the U.S. mission came under attack on September 11th, saying it would have been irresponsible to put forces in harm's way without better information.

President Barack Obama's response to the attacks in Libya has been a contentious issue in the hard-fought U.S. presidential race, with Republican opponents raising questions about his administration's truthfulness and competence.

Obama supporters have in turn accused Republicans of making unfounded accusations in an effort to score political points from the death of a U.S. ambassador and the three others killed in the Benghazi attack.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Republican John Boehner, asked in a letter to Obama on Thursday about whether military options and assets were offered "during and in the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attack."

"Can you explain what options were presented to you or your staff, and why it appears assets were not allowed to be pre-positioned, let alone utilized?" Boehner asked.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told Pentagon reporters that U.S. forces were on a heightened state of alert already because of the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington by al Qaeda.

But he said there simply wasn't enough information to responsibly deploy forces to Libya at the time of the attack.

"You don't deploy forces into harm's way without knowing what's going on, without having some real-time information about what's taking place," Panetta said.

Lacking that information, Panetta said he, General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, and General Carter Ham, head of the U.S. military's Africa Command, felt they couldn't "put forces at risk in that situation."

"This happened within a few hours and it was really over before, you know, we had the opportunity to really know what was happening," Panetta said.

In the aftermath of the attack, Panetta reminded reporters that the Pentagon deployed a Marine fleet anti-terrorist security team to Tripoli and had Navy ships off the coast.

"And we were prepared to respond to any contingency. And certainly had forces in place to do that," he said.

The administration initially attributed the violence to protests over an anti-Islam film and said it was not premeditated. Obama and other officials have since said the incident was a deliberate terrorist attack.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has attributed the shifting explanation to "the fog of war."

A State Department email made public this week showed that two hours after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission compound in Benghazi, the Department's Operations Center advised officials at various U.S. agencies that a militant group called Ansar al-Sharia had claimed credit on Twitter and Facebook for the attacks.

U.S. officials, including Clinton, on Wednesday said that such Internet postings did not constitute hard evidence of who was responsible for the attacks.

The State Department has set up an independent review board to investigate the background and response to the attacks.

The U.S. Senate intelligence committee on Thursday said it will hold hearings in November - after the November 6 presidential election - on security and intelligence issues raised by the September 11 attack in Libya.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-knew-too-little-deploy-troops-benghazi-pentagon-060316307.html

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it continues!

Obama Refuses to Answer ‘Repeated Questions on Whether Requests for Help in Benghazi Were Denied’

Update (5:53 PM ET): President Barack Obama reportedly refused to provide a direct answer to repeated questions on whether requests for help in Benghazi were denied as the attack was underway during an interview with 9News in Denver on Friday.

Kyle Clark, a reporter with 9News, asked the president about the requests for help and whether or not it was fair to make Americans wait for answers on Benghazi until after the election.

“The election has nothing to do with four brave Americans getting killed and us wanting to find out exactly what happened,” Obama said. “Nobody wants to find out more what happened than I do.”

The president went on to say he wants to “gather all the facts” and find out “exactly what happened” and bring justice to the terrorists who attacked the U.S. mission in Libya.

“President Obama was directly asked twice whether pleas for help on the ground in Libya were denied during the attack. Both times, he repeated his standard call for a thorough investigation,” 9News reports.

Here is Obama’s full response to the question:

“Well, we are finding out exactly what happened. I can tell you, as I’ve said over the last couple of months since this happened, the minute I found out what was happening, I gave three very clear directives. Number one, make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to. Number two, we’re going to investigate exactly what happened so that it doesn’t happen again. Number three, find out who did this so we can bring them to justice. And I guarantee you that everyone in the state department, our military, the CIA, you name it, had number one priority making sure that people were safe. These were our folks and we’re going to find out exactly what happened, but what we’re also going to do it make sure that we are identifying those who carried out these terrible attacks.”

Clark’s line of questioning was seemingly different than the president usually faces from a media that has been friendly to him.

The 9News reporter also asked Obama about his previous calls for more “civility” in the race, calling him out for calling Romney a “bullsh**ter in a Rolling Stone interview.

“What did you mean and why did you choose that word?” he asked.

“You know, this was a conversation after an interview, a casual conversation with a reporter,” Obama explained.

“The basic point that I’ve been talking about throughout this campaign, is people know what I mean and they know that I mean what I say and what I care about, who I’m fighting for and you know a major issue in any election is can you count on the person you’re putting into the Oval Office fighting for you having a clear set of convictions that they believe in.”

Finally, Obama was asked to address his administration’s decision to give stimulus funds to Abound Solar, a Colorado company with ties to one of the president’s billionaire fundraisers. The company has since gone out of business and is now under criminal investigation, Clark reports.

After laughing, Obama said: “Well, Kyle, I think that if you look at our record that these loans that are given out by the Department of Energy for clean energy have created jobs all across the country and only about four percent of these loans were going to some very cutting-edge industries that are going to allow us to figure out how to produce energy in a clean, renewable way in the future and create jobs in Colorado and all around the country.”

This story will be updated with video of the interview as soon as it becomes available.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rep...er-requests-for-help-in-benghazi-were-denied/

Latest posts

Top Bottom