Citizenship question 2020 census

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see where it could be argued that the admission that a person is in the country illegally (a crime) is a violation of the fifth amendment. (Self incrimination).

The last census form I received had some questions that I thought were getting too personal and I didn’t feel it was any of their business and I left those questions blank.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see where it could be argued that the admission that a person is in the country illegally (a crime) is a violation of the fifth amendment. (Self incrimination).

The last census form I received had some questions that I thought were getting too personal and I didn’t feel it was any of their business and I left those questions blank.

ummm, is not the 5th amendment for citizens, not alien "visitors" ? since when does our constitution include alien "visitors" having rights enumerated in the document?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ummm, is not the 5th amendment for citizens, not alien "visitors" ? since when does our constitution include alien "visitors" having rights enumerated in the document?

I see your point and I don’t know the answer. I have a card with Miranda rights on it. One side is in English, the other side is in Spanish.

I’ve never dealt with that particular situation, so I don’t know what rights they do or don’t have when they step across the border. I’d be calling for a supervisor or higher authority. If I were arrested in another country, I’d expect to be subject to their laws. Also, I know if I were arrested in another county, I’d be screaming for the consulate or an attorney or both. Whether I received either would be the question.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think the same rights as apply to citizens would apply to aliens, legal or otherwise. You wouldn't expect even someone in the country illegally to be compelled to testify against themselves, denied the right to speak to an attorney, or be held indefinitely without being charged. Seems to me that the rights of the accused are basically restrictions against what the government can do, which restrictions would apply universally.

But I'm not a lawyer, I'm just speculating...

Latest posts

Top Bottom