city coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for years I lived in the country and tried to shoot every coyote I saw, for the last 20 years I have lived in one city or another not giving much thought to them except when Deer hunting.
now I live in Bixby about 1/2 a mile north of the river and when they sound off in the evening and mornings it sounds like a million of them.our neighbors have security cam pics of coyotes with cats and a small dog in their mouths.
I leave for work at 430 am and yesterday morning as I walked out to my truck there was a big yote walking down the street ,when he got to my mail box(about 30ft from me) he stop and stared at me didn't leave until I yelled at him and then only walked away like he was more annoyed than afraid of me. I thought about popping him with my pocket 380 but probably a bad Idea in town. I have seen them go right over a 6ft wood fence. any Ideas on controlling them in neighborhoods?

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for years I lived in the country and tried to shoot every coyote I saw, for the last 20 years I have lived in one city or another not giving much thought to them except when Deer hunting.
now I live in Bixby about 1/2 a mile north of the river and when they sound off in the evening and mornings it sounds like a million of them.our neighbors have security cam pics of coyotes with cats and a small dog in their mouths.
I leave for work at 430 am and yesterday morning as I walked out to my truck there was a big yote walking down the street ,when he got to my mail box(about 30ft from me) he stop and stared at me didn't leave until I yelled at him and then only walked away like he was more annoyed than afraid of me. I thought about popping him with my pocket 380 but probably a bad Idea in town. I have seen them go right over a 6ft wood fence. any Ideas on controlling them in neighborhoods?

A big enough live trap baited with your neighbors weenie dog.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
like dogs too much to kill them unless I had livestock and had a real good reason. I used to have them get into my backyard trying to get at the feed I keep on the back porch for the catfish and ducks. Like you said, they can easily leap the 6ft fence and have done so when I let my dogs out not knowing they were there. We got a lot of them around (on edge of town) and once I began putting out the cheapest dog food over my fence for the coons and yotes, etc. (when it is winter), nothing ever comes into my yard anymore. My shepherd got a hold of a coon one night and a possum so scraps and dog food keep them away, but we still enjoy seeing them. I am probably going to get a trail cam setup so I can see more.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about one of those high powered pellet guns? Pretty quiet and effective from what I’ve read.
For a humane kill, you would need a HV 22 or 25cal...probably a PCP gun with a head shot...and some of those are quite loud and dangerous to be firing in a neighborhood. Not to mention missing and maiming one...you'd probably get in trouble if you got caught.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a humane kill, you would need a HV 22 or 25cal...probably a PCP gun with a head shot...and some of those are quite loud and dangerous to be firing in a neighborhood. Not to mention missing and maiming one...you'd probably get in trouble if you got caught.
Party Pooper...

Latest posts

Top Bottom