Class 3 Oil Filter Adapter for Silenced Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The adapter is the part that has the serial number so the actual part that suppresses the sound is not controlled by law? Interesting setup. If all companies selling suppressors made and sold adapters with serial numbers wouldn't that make repairing a ruined silencer body cheaper and easier? No need to have to jump through government hoops if your can is destroyed beyond repair? Just buy another unregistered uncontrolled body and screw it on the adapter?

Michael

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The adapter is the part that has the serial number so the actual part that suppresses the sound is not controlled by law? Interesting setup. If all companies selling suppressors made and sold adapters with serial numbers wouldn't that make repairing a ruined silencer body cheaper and easier? No need to have to jump through government hoops if your can is destroyed beyond repair? Just buy another unregistered uncontrolled body and screw it on the adapter?

Michael

I agree...If I was a manufacturer I'd sell an adapter with a SN and then have multiple caliber cans that could be attached...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds good in theory. but in real life anything attached to the gun that reduces sound by even 1db is a suppressor and no provision for possessing "spare" parts.
Theres a lot of borderline illegal stuff available on the web.
would you really want to be the test case?
in a real suppressor the tube is the registered part but you can't possess extra baffles,endcaps etc.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's weird, is that when looking at his website, it appears it is being sold as the "Solvent Trap". The funny part is the solvent trap would actually be a nice tool when cleaning and scrubbing barrels. It would be nice to keep my work space clean.

I'd bet someone got the bright idea to use the solvent trap in a new way.... Redneck creativity... I don't see it listed for sale as the $75 tread adapter...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The oil filter is treated as a replaceable wipe. The ATF looks at wipes and baffles/other silencer parts differently. There have been coke bottle adapters around for a long time that are registered silencers.

Also, there are several silencers coming out now that the back portion is the registered part. That means if you blow it up the MFG can replace the tube and baffles with out the GEMTAX. This doesn't make it the same as what you're looking at in the video. The tube and baffles are still silencer parts and not user replaceable wipes like the oil filter. You're also still only allowed to have a single set of wipes for use in a wipe can. Other sets (oil filters) laying around could be interpreted as illegal by some.

They also didn't specify which ammo they used in the P22. It seemed like they used reduced loads in the oil filter demo and when they videoed the real suppressor they were much closer with the camera making it seem much louder. This thing would be neat for about 20 minutes. oil filters are heavy, huge, and make poor silencers. Wipe cans cause horrible accuracy too. I would imagine a metal wipe is even worse.

Definitely useless on anything other than rimfire. Yeah, it is a big metal object on the end of your gun, but all that gas you see coming out of the end and back in his face is the noise. I'm sure it does reduce the sound a noticeable amount though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on it, just being realistic. I think it is pretty nifty.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you aim with that big azz thing on the end? Also they had these "adapter's" way back in the 80's at gun shows. I recall my dad asking the guy if that was even legal, he told my dad to take a walk.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much my response when fudd's ask me if my suppressors are legal. Or when they try to tell me the ATF will come get me and shoot my dog. Or when they tell me how to 'file my firing pin to make it full auto'. Or ect ect. That guy was probably as tired of ignorant questions as I am.

Maybe I did not make myself clear, They did not require any paperwork. My dad knew the answer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom