1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Classified only posters

Discussion in 'Site News & Feedback' started by Catt57, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I am seeing more and more "members" that have no post history outside of the classifieds. It used to be that the classifieds were for the use of the "community" members and really did offer a sense of secure buying, trading, and selling. Also it was a way to list items for the community at a possible discount, knowing that only the other community members could take advantage of that.

I have felt that feeling slowly dying and felt I needed to speak up about it. What happened to the days when a new member was required to have at least some community activity before using the classifieds?

kd5rjz, druryj, Seadog and 1 other person like this.
  2. druryj

druryj Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Speak up folks. Are you okay with the way it’s set up now? Or would you rather see us require a new member to have...say...25 meaningful posts before they get access to the classifieds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd5rjz, RickN, RugerSooner and 3 others like this.
  3. adamsredlines

adamsredlines Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I agree with the OP. I think if I were wanting to deal with some "stanger", I'd be looking on Armslist instead.

jakeman, kwaynem, druryj and 2 others like this.
  4. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'll try to elaborate my stance. It's hard to put into words as it's more a feeling than something concrete.

I suppose the definable issue is that I see more and more "Bulk" listings flooding the classifieds that are burying those of, what I will call, the "True members". They often offer nothing better than what can be found on Armslist, and are in fact, quite often an exact duplicate of listings I later find there. Some have even appeared to me to borderline misleading.

I feel this is devaluing our classifieds and will lead to them no longer being a source of reliable sources for our buying, selling, trading desires.

This still doesn't quite convey my feelings about it, but maybe it does clarify why I feel this way a little more.

kwaynem, FRISKY, druryj and 5 others like this.
  5. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If all they want to do is sell or trade firearms, how much of an asset would they be to the community anyway? I don’t agree with just using the forum as a sale engine, but how do you stop it? So they post 25 meaningful posts and then start using it as a firearms sale engine.

I guess you can not buy their goods....

druryj and D. Hargrove like this.
  6. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dealers are using OSA as a free way to advertise their stuff for sale.
    It's been going on for quite a while.

kwaynem and amadera like this.
  7. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Some of the prices for the items get that result already.

Catt57, Honey Badger and Jwryan84 like this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I belong here for the community. The classifieds should be reflective and part of the community.
    Unfortunately the classifieds are just free advertising for any Tom, Dick and Harry that wants free advertisement to peddle their wares and could really care less if this forum folded tomorrow.
    That’s just my thoughts on the subject.

kwaynem, amadera, SABOT and 2 others like this.
  9. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Steve made this change when he bought the place, he decided this was how he wanted it - he wanted to open up access for more folks. But, this is how it goes.

Personally, when I look at buying, I look at the person, see if they are a member in good standing and with ties to this community.

I don't find it a huge issue personally, but I agree with the OP that Classifieds-only members aren't typically the type of people I would deal with. That's just me. but, the community is still here - at least the Classifieds-only members aren't spamming the forums with, "Me, too!" and "I agree!" posts just to get access, either, right?

FRISKY, RugerSooner, SABOT and 6 others like this.
  10. D. Hargrove

D. Hargrove Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I kinda feel that we are a community, we have a sense of knowing each other by our posts and ENS interactions. Not sure what the answer is, yet it feels weird to see folks post in the Classifieds that do not participate in the community otherwise. For some I am sure that is not an issue, for me their history actually is something I look at.