Clean Powder for 38 Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 231/HP38. Pretty clean stuff

Same here........I've fiddled around with some other powders through the years but I've always come back to W231 as my primary powder for .38 Spl, .357 Mag and 45ACP.

w231.jpg

Last edited:

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use 231/HP-38. As a matter of fact I just finished loading 500 148 g hollow base WC cutters. after experimenting with different powders and amounts of these powders I settled on HP-38. Pretty clean burning meters well and seems to be more accurate that the trigger puller is.
I have found my 38’s shoot real well with 3.6 gn of HP-38

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unique and bullseye are like burning dirt. I have never found a load for either of those that did not turn my guns, hands and range bag black with soot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day when shotshells were cheaper to reload, I used a lot of Unique. Really dirty, but it got reformulated prior to the Clinton years when we had our first reloading supplies shortage. Stumbled on an 8lb jug and bought it.
Didn't use it for awhile, but recently decided to break the seal and start using it. The recent EnS at big boys had me bring lots of .44 mag powder puff loads for those that wanted to shoot my guns. They didn't soot up and burned fairly clean. Three lanes to my right it appeared someone was shooting black powder it was so dirty with smoke, lots of smoke filling the air.
Can't remember who it was and they told me what powder it was, but my memory fails me.
Still have about 6 lbs to use from that Unique jug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom