Cleaning a suppressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Listen to DG and T55. That mixture would be very toxic and would also eat up any aluminium in your can.

Folks do more damage to (and shorten the life of) their cans trying to "clean" them then if they had just left them alone.

I don't have any aluminum in my can, so I don't see how this would damage it... As far as disposal goes, I have a friend that works for the EPA and I give it to her to dispose of. I use the dip every couple of thousand rounds. YMMV...

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really shouldnt be exposing any ferrous metals to peracetic acid.

I use to soak my supressors in kroil. Little to know benefit, so now I just shoot it, rattle it for anything big that might be in it... then put it up.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really shouldnt be exposing any ferrous metals to peracetic acid.

I use to soak my supressors in kroil. Little to know benefit, so now I just shoot it, rattle it for anything big that might be in it... then put it up.

I haven't had any issues with the dip, but i've only used it twice. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used an ultrasonic cleaner on my AAC Element .22 can. It has stainless baffles. A few cycles and a dental pick and I can get it looking almost like new. Is it necessary? No. but I get bored easily. Do take it apart every few hundred rounds though to inspect and get the big chunks off anyways.

I've never done anything to my AAC SPR/M4 5.56 can. It only has about 1,000 rounds through it.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never clean anything on mine except for the mounting threads.

To quote Dr. Phillip Dater of Gemtech at the 2003 SAR Gun Show: "Clean your suppressors as often as you clean the mufflers on your car."

I am with CAR-AR-M16 on this... I talked with Gemtich a few time when I got my OutBack II can. Some guys said I am crazy for not doing anything to my can, but if the guys that made it and said not to, and will still be covered in warranty, then I know who I am going to go with on this...

Latest posts

Top Bottom