Cleaning brass with SS media

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering from any of you guys here that clean your brass with a wet tumbler & the stainless steel pins,
What have you found to be the best way to separate the stainless pins from the brass?
I haven't been using one for long, but I do like how much faster & cleaner the brass gets, but I have been using a strong magnet, I just 'swipe' the brass over the magnet neck down & the magnet pulls the stainless pins right out. Seems to work ok for me right now.
Just wondering if there was a quicker way.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m using a RSBS media separator.

502ec04b7a5a336678d1777123749c7b.jpg

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not knocking specific media sorters as they probably work efficiently, but I don't care for a widget that's a single use item and has a bigger foot print than a multi use item. I use these, they are gold panning or prospecting tools. I use them for a lot of different uses. And they fit perfectly on five gallon buckets and stack neatly waiting to serve in new uses as they come up.
a964db43e29117da24bf4cd8930c2d85.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m using a RSBS media separator.

502ec04b7a5a336678d1777123749c7b.jpg

To expand a bit, this works well for me because the brass is wet and the lid contains almost reverting when I crank it. I crank it at different speeds front and back to let pins come out of the cases.
From here, I rinse in a colander and place them in my dehydrator.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To expand a bit, this works well for me because the brass is wet and the lid contains almost reverting when I crank it. I crank it at different speeds front and back to let pins come out of the cases.
From here, I rinse in a colander and place them in my dehydrator.
Plus 1 on the media separator process. But, I rinse them in the bottom of the media separator (wear rubber gloves) until clean and the dump them back into the tumbler for storage.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plus 1 on the media separator process. But, I rinse them in the bottom of the media separator (wear rubber gloves) until clean and the dump them back into the tumbler for storage.

I do the same. The brass is what goes in the dehydrator. I leave the pins wet sealed in the drums. 5 minute Tumble and a quick rinse before use if they have been sitting for more than a week or so.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do the same. The brass is what goes in the dehydrator. I leave the pins wet sealed in the drums. 5 minute Tumble and a quick rinse before use if they have been sitting for more than a week or so.
I understand now. I rinse the brass in a container and then, much to my wife's dismay, they go in the clothes drier on a dryer rack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom