Cleaning coins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been entrusted with some collectible coins and asked to clean them. I know there are some silver dollars, at least one old tin penny, some copper pennies and some old dimes. Can they be run through my ultrasonic cleaner? With what kind of solution? Vibratory tumbler? I don't think any of them are dirty enough to warrant that and I worried about it damaging them. Thanks for your help!

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
And as a guy that spent his teenage years in the strip bars on 15th and 11th street back in the "wild west" days....

Never put money in your mouth. You really, really don't know where it's been.
You know that your mouth is the dirtiest place on your body don't you ? I would not worry about where it's been if you are going to put it in your mouth.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
OK. I know I have seen coin dealers using 'cleaning cloths' on coins in their stores/at their tables. So, what are they using?????
Never, ever seen a coin dealer use any kind of cleaning cloth on a valuable coin. In fact, they usually will wear gloves to inspect them or pick them up in some sort of coin mount.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately most metal cleaners eat metal to varying degrees. Collectors would like to see uncleaned coins. One way to look at it is like the phenomenon of survivor cars (unrestored) being more valuable than restored versions, or barn find autos. Unwashed cars with original parts are highly valued in some cases, even more so than a restored car. Weird.

Latest posts

Top Bottom