Cleaning coins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems we only have one coin shop left in town, but he's been here for a long, long time. Yep, he said, 'don't clean 'em.' No need. No really rare stuff in there, but he said they're all nice coins. He insisted on putting the silver dollars in protective sleeves and wouldn't let me pay him. She's gonna' get them back and can store them until she's ready to sell. Thanks, again, everybody!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been entrusted with some collectible coins and asked to clean them. I know there are some silver dollars, at least one old tin penny, some copper pennies and some old dimes. Can they be run through my ultrasonic cleaner? With what kind of solution? Vibratory tumbler? I don't think any of them are dirty enough to warrant that and I worried about it damaging them. Thanks for your help!
There are proper ways to conserve collectible coins but by all means do not clean them, especially by any of the means you have described. Cory, the owner of Edmond Coins is a former NGC grader and can give you advice whether the coin is best left alone or if acetone, foamy ammonia or even "dip" may be appropriate and then give you instructions on the manner in which to apply the conservation to the coin. Cleaning as you describe will destroy any numismatic value they may have.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, our 'coin guy' said there are some rather extreme cases where coins need to be cleaned, but not in this case. I didn't ask him to judge them, appraise them, make an offer or whatever, but he dumped them all out and looked them over. He did not try to buy them, but he told me, IF he were buying them, what he would give for them and (in the case of the pennies) what he would sell them for. I walked away feeling good about his assessment.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, our 'coin guy' said there are some rather extreme cases where coins need to be cleaned, but not in this case. I didn't ask him to judge them, appraise them, make an offer or whatever, but he dumped them all out and looked them over. He did not try to buy them, but he told me, IF he were buying them, what he would give for them and (in the case of the pennies) what he would sell them for. I walked away feeling good about his assessment.
We have about 5 lb or more of wheat pennies along with the silver dollars and other coins. I need to go see your guy.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A big plate full of greasy mexican food with several buttered tortillas filled with fried jalapeño peppers & onions generally does it for me.

Wait................................. you said coins. I misread that. My bad.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, positively DO NOT ever clean collectable coins.

You will badly affect or destroy the value of them if they have any.
I have seen coins worth good money that have been cleaned and then be only worth half their collectable value or less. I firmly agree NEVER CLEAN A VALUABLE COIN!

Latest posts

Top Bottom