Clint Smith Defensive Titles (DVD)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clint Smith is a very skilled marksman and a helluva instructor. Sadly, he's also anybody's dog that will pet him.

Let me explain...

For years and years, he has taught that the best weapon out there was a 1911. I don't think he was quite as adamant about that as the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper was (God rest his soul) but he was a big cocked and locked supporter, nonetheless. He made a point to scoff at the "plastic" guns out there, still endorsing the .45 and the 1911 platform.

Recently, he's been praising the Springfield Armory XD-M. :scratch: And as if that's not enough, I've even seen videos of him teaching with a Glock on his hip! :ooh2:

So obviously, whoever wants to give him a free gun to shoot some vids with, he's all for it.

Don't get me wrong - Like I said, I think he's a very talented and knowledgeable gun slinger...he's just...:anyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT96jxPBCqo

Lucky13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah I see. Good input.

It does seem like Clint Smith is in or on a lot of stuff. It's like he is trying to be a poster boy I guess.

I'm considering Tom Given's Concealed Carry (DVD).

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clint Smith is a very skilled marksman and a helluva instructor. Sadly, he's also anybody's dog that will pet him.

Let me explain...

For years and years, he has taught that the best weapon out there was a 1911. I don't think he was quite as adamant about that as the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper was (God rest his soul) but he was a big cocked and locked supporter, nonetheless. He made a point to scoff at the "plastic" guns out there, still endorsing the .45 and the 1911 platform.

Recently, he's been praising the Springfield Armory XD-M. :scratch: And as if that's not enough, I've even seen videos of him teaching with a Glock on his hip! :ooh2:

So obviously, whoever wants to give him a free gun to shoot some vids with, he's all for it.

Don't get me wrong - Like I said, I think he's a very talented and knowledgeable gun slinger...he's just...:anyone:

Gaaahhhh.....
Just put him thru' the damn wringer why don't ya'!?
Has it ever occurred to you that he may have just changed his mind?
People's tastes change over the years, and their ideas can as well.
Maybe/maybe not,I don't know for sure...... but I'm not positive his switchup is enough to consider him a corporate sellout.

And of all people....I can't believe *YOU* are raggin' Clint for switchin' up carry guns!

Yeah....I said it.

Now go put that in your hat and smoke it!
:nutkick:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Er.....to the OP, definitely check out what Givens has to offer.
You might even PM him for a recommendation about something specific as he is a member here.
He's hiding behind a real sneaky username tho':
"Tom Givens"
;)

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Let me explain...

Amazing. An employee (of Gunsite) that echoes the PRIMARY teaching point of his employer (Col Cooper). Even though he still primarily carries and uses a 1911, he has endorsed XDs and sometimes even Glocks. He is also a huge fan of old style S&W revolvers! Clint Smith's primary teaching point for years is know how to use whatever gun is available and use it well. He repeatedly emphasizes that you don't need a custom 1911 or the latest Crunchenticker to have an effective fighting gun.
Please don't jump on the guy for making a living. If most of the major manufacturers and premier custom gunsmiths would just listen to me and make the guns I want then give me samples of them I might tend to be pretty effusive in singing their praises. They would obviously be great guns because they built what I asked for! I am sure if Glock and S&W made a special model to your specifications you would do the same.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*sigh* Welp...I reckon I stepped on a few toes, huh? :rolleyes2 Lemme see if I can "explain" myself a wee bit better. :D

As I said earlier, Clint Smith is an amazing instructor and a guy who definitely knows his ****. He's worked hard and long doing what he does and yes, if given the chance, I would love to attend one of his classes. It just seems odd to me that one minute he's bashing the "Plastic king and queen" and then you see him training with one. :ugh2:

:scratch:

I dunno. Maybe it's his way of teaching his students with various firearms, since we don't ALL carry the same thing.

Gaaahhhh.....
Just put him thru' the damn wringer why don't ya'!?
Has it ever occurred to you that he may have just changed his mind?
People's tastes change over the years, and their ideas can as well.
Maybe/maybe not,I don't know for sure...... but I'm not positive his switchup is enough to consider him a corporate sellout.

And of all people....I can't believe *YOU* are raggin' Clint for switchin' up carry guns!

Yeah....I said it.

Now go put that in your hat and smoke it!
:nutkick:

I know Leprechaun...I know. I have gone back to my roots by switching from my beloved Glock back to a revolver for concealed carry.

However...

Other than the weapons' respective actions, loading/unloading methods and ammo capacity, the foundations of the Glock and the revolver are basically the same.

Draw weapon, fire weapon, holster weapon.

There's no thumb up safety here, de-cock there, oh wait...where is it? Ah! It's on the slide...no wait! It's on the frame...uh...:lookaroun On the Glock or the revolver, you don't have to worry about that. In teaching a new handgunner, I would think that would be the perfect platform to build on. Like Forrest Gump said, "that's good. One less thang." Clint switches from revolver to 1911 to Glock to Sig Sauer to XD to Beretta and back again. A new student would have a hard time keeping up with that. :ooh2:

Over the years, the only auto I ever considered owning other than a Glock is a Smith & Wesson or Beretta. I've never desired anything else. I tried an XD...for about a week and I tried a Sig not once, but twice. :disappoin I've even owned a coupla Ruger P series autos and a Taurus or two. To be quite honest, the de-cocker on the Taurus series is about the best there is IMO. You don't have to change your grip to make the weapon safe like you do with Berettas, Rugers, Smiths and Sigs. Of course, that can also be said about the 1911, but I was just referring to the DA/SA autos.

The 1911 is a whole other issue. ;)

After trying every other player out there, I've always came back home to the Glock and a revolver for defensive carry. If a brand spankin' new handgunner approached me and asked me what the very best weapon for concealed carry is, I would suggest the revolver. If they were very adamant about wanting a bottom feeder, I would give Glock the nod.

It took me several, several years to realize this, and as usual yours (and everybody else's) mileage may vary. ;)

Amazing. An employee (of Gunsite) that echoes the PRIMARY teaching point of his employer (Col Cooper). Even though he still primarily carries and uses a 1911, he has endorsed XDs and sometimes even Glocks. He is also a huge fan of old style S&W revolvers! Clint Smith's primary teaching point for years is know how to use whatever gun is available and use it well. He repeatedly emphasizes that you don't need a custom 1911 or the latest Crunchenticker to have an effective fighting gun.
Please don't jump on the guy for making a living. If most of the major manufacturers and premier custom gunsmiths would just listen to me and make the guns I want then give me samples of them I might tend to be pretty effusive in singing their praises. They would obviously be great guns because they built what I asked for! I am sure if Glock and S&W made a special model to your specifications you would do the same.

Indeed I would. Point well taken. :respect:

Latest posts

Top Bottom