Close Call for Me This Morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Westbound on U.S. 50 in eastern Colorado early this morning, I had just dimmed my headlights because of an oncoming car. Suddenly, I see three deer crossing the road immediately in front of me. One deer in the eastbound lane, one deer over the center line, and one deer in the westbound lane.

Got on the brakes, and was pretty sure we were going to broadside one of those three deer. Then, the deer in the center turned back to the eastbound lane and the one in the westbound lane had moved just enough that I saw an opening between them and swerved for the opening. I figured that at least we wouldn't hit either of the deer broadside.

I'm good. I missed both of them. Checked the front of the Expedition when we stopped for a bathroom break, and there wasn't even any brush marks on the vehicle where I might have "grazed" one of them. Plus, I figure the whole episode happened in about 5 seconds or less.

God looks out for "some" old folks.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you put that last line in there. When I saw the title to this thread with your name on it and as much as y'all travel.... I was thinking bathroom break.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see you're ok. I swear, I'm about of the opinion those damn things are fighting back and launching Kamikaze missions against the vehicles! My morning commute is littered with roadkill bucks and seems like a new one every morning.

I didn't think much about it until I saw a little white bandanna with a Rising Sun on one of them....

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, amazing that they moved. Most of the time the "deer in the headlights" just stand there looking at you like oh what is this light coming towards me. If you are going slow enough turning the lights off and beeping the horn will get them to move but at a certain speed you just don't have enough time till it's too late.

Never had the misfortune to hit a deer but saw the aftermath when a van did on one road when I was a teenager. Busted one headlight and something at the very least blew a fuse because the other side was not working. Tore up the front end of that van as well and that was a glancing blow. Ended up finding the deer later and it smacked it's head on the pavement which killed it but the only other visible damage was a broken leg.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you're OK! I've hit many of them and they have in turn hit me.

While patrolling one night I topped a hill on a dirt road and almost butchered about 20 of those cussed things.

My son bought a brand new 2012 Dodge pickup and storms were rolling in. He took off toward the south then west. He ended up out by Hinton headed north after bypassing the hail in three thunderstorms a damn deer hits him in his passenger door.

I found out a nice doe will fit perfectly in a 73 Ford Ranchero grill.

My wife's $30K Infinity being loaned to our son-in-law was broadsided all along the driver's side a month ago. Now he's got my truck.

Get out there and kill off them suckers will ya?

Every stinkin time I didn't have the capability to eat my catch either! I figure I'm owed about a pickup full of venison sausage.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did about 3k worth of damage to my truck the first one I hit... the next two, I haven't even bothered repairing it from, it just looks like a beat up old truck anyways. C'est la vie.

I AM glad you and the wife are ok, though, man. Be safe out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom