Close call

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was finishing up a flower bed project for the wife today using those paver blocks. Put one on the front porch and went inside for some cool water and to get the sweat drops off my glasses.
Reached down to pickup the block and noticed movement under it.
Backed up for a better look and this 12” copperhead was almost completely hidden under it with only a small portion visible which is what caught my eye. Pretty well camouflaged.
The last pic is right before the square point shovel took his head off. You can see the fangs.
That’s the 10th copperhead I’ve killed on our place.

ba52ac1463f569a6770a622ece7a107b.jpg

b5e3cddc23e354471a739f193eebb1b8.jpg

dd128543b57c879f325feabd723faa9b.jpg
Glad you noticed it before it fanged you. I’m thinking you need to get a bunch of chickens. Bantys, a bunch. That will take care of your snake problem. 10th one this year, eh? That’s 10 too many. I think it’s the Almighty telling you to work less outside.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was finishing up a flower bed project for the wife today using those paver blocks. Put one on the front porch and went inside for some cool water and to get the sweat drops off my glasses.
Reached down to pickup the block and noticed movement under it.
Backed up for a better look and this 12” copperhead was almost completely hidden under it with only a small portion visible which is what caught my eye. Pretty well camouflaged.
The last pic is right before the square point shovel took his head off. You can see the fangs.
That’s the 10th copperhead I’ve killed on our place.

ba52ac1463f569a6770a622ece7a107b.jpg

b5e3cddc23e354471a739f193eebb1b8.jpg

dd128543b57c879f325feabd723faa9b.jpg
Time before last that I went down to the ranch I got out of the pickup and walked over to open the gate and looked down and there was a copperhead 6" from my foot just under the lock on the gate....boy did this 72 year old move like a teenager.....

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you spotted it when you did. Copperheads are the snake that scare me. They're often difficult to see.

Rat snakes and king snakes I like and never bother them. We live on property that I would not be surprised to see copperheads and pigmy or timber rattlers (whatever those small ones are that I've seen), but in 20 years here have not seen even one. I give credit to the king snakes for eliminating the bad ones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom