CLP killed my grass!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap.

Cleaned a couple of rifles off the back patio the other day in prep for an Appleseed. Letting stuff drip on the concrete has left it stained and marked up, and between my smoking efforts this summer and few times cleaning guns, my back patio concrete is looking quite poor. :(

So, I squirted some foaming CLP down the barrels of a few ARs and .22s while standing just off the concrete patio and let run through the barrels, then ran a boresnake through a few times. Worked well, and they were clean and shiny afterward, but now those spots of my grass are yellow and looking like they may not make it! Damn!

So what do you do? Cleaning guns is MESSY... I don't mind getting stuff on my hands, etc. I can wipe them on my shop towels and wash them off, etc. But cleaning barrels, it drips all over.

Wife suggested using some doggy training pads, which isn't a bad idea, I suppose. Anyone else got any other tips?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some of those absorbent hospital pads. It's probably something like 3'x4', quite the perfect size. I just put it under whatever I'm cleaning on my bench. I also tote it around in my repair box I take with me to the range, that way if I need to brake down something for a repair when I'm out, I have a good surface to work on.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good stuff excat! The wife and I had talked about it and thought about buying some "puppy pads". You know, the potty training pads. But those washable hospital bed pads will work even better.

Now... how do you guys wash your pads and cleaning rags? I've got a good supply of shop rags, but they're starting to get pretty dirty. I'm not sure that washing them in the regular washing machine is a good idea... I'd hate to have later loads of clothes coming out smelling like Hoppe's #9! Do you guys just wash in the machine? Is there any residual odor in the machine or subsequent washloads? I don't want to experiment and lose... I'd get flayed alive if I gambled and lost, I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom