CMP out of stock but have tons of rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my buddy went to alabama to buy a CMP rifle and took quite a few pictures. It looked like they had close to 1000 rifles in verying condition yet their lower grade models are sold out on their website. What gives?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sure it was "close to 1000 rifles"? The most I've ever seen at the older, bigger store was around 400, and that was with all racks full.

They're putting up for sale in the stores rifles that are put-togethers from parts, and saving up enough of the grades to put up a batch for sale online. The latter sales are going in spurts now, unfortunately, while they dribble enough rifles to keep the stores stocked.

Think about it - with as sparse as the supply is now, why are there so many rifles in the stores?

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was there in June they said they hardly put rifles on web any more, they sell so many on site. And yes they are put together from parts

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sure it was "close to 1000 rifles"? The most I've ever seen at the older, bigger store was around 400, and that was with all racks full.

They're putting up for sale in the stores rifles that are put-togethers from parts, and saving up enough of the grades to put up a batch for sale online. The latter sales are going in spurts now, unfortunately, while they dribble enough rifles to keep the stores stocked.

Think about it - with as sparse as the supply is now, why are there so many rifles in the stores?
Well I guess I was assuming there was rifles all around him off camera... Maybe that was all there was. So does this mean they are drying up?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I guess I was assuming there was rifles all around him off camera... Maybe that was all there was. So does this mean they are drying up?

They've been drying up for a while now. The last time I saw high-end Service Grades via mail order was at least a year ago. By that, I mean USGI stocks as a rule, factory or arsenal finishes, and lots of correct parts, especially the barrel. I've heard of occasional mostly correct WW2 issues being stocked in the stores in recent months, but those aren't to be counted on during any given visit.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the Camp Perry store last summer and they only had the cmp refurbs and some high end stuff. No field or rack grade.
That is what the website says too. I think the cheapest ones were CMP specials that were put together with parts and graded field grade. Anyone know of any good gun clubs to join so I could get one? ORA looks a little shady.

Latest posts

Top Bottom