CMP out of stock but have tons of rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grand Collectors Associaton is a good one to join. They are running out of rifles and the new store only has enough room for a few rifles to be stocked each day, so there aren't thousands in there. Last year, they stated that they had enough rifles to last until approximately mid 2017. They may last longer, but in what quantities and conditions. I have a single SG order that I placed on the last day they were still taking orders, 9-28-16. I doubt I see it for another month. I also doubt it will be what I'm looking for and will likely resemble a SG Special, which is kind of depressing to me. Also, how did he get the pics as they recently changed the policy at the South store and no longer allow pics to be taken there. I'm glad he got some pics, just curious how.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what the website says too. I think the cheapest ones were CMP specials that were put together with parts and graded field grade. Anyone know of any good gun clubs to join so I could get one? ORA looks a little shady.

You can also keep an eye on the CMP forum classifieds; members often sell Garands there that are better than what's available in the Stores at this time. Of course, you'll pay more, but that's the price these days for getting a rifle that wasn't put together outside of an Armed Forces installation.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed, are you still collecting Garands? I haven't seen you on the CMP forums or buying/selling Garands on OSA lately. You always seemed to be giving someone a great deal!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed, are you still collecting Garands? I haven't seen you on the CMP forums or buying/selling Garands on OSA lately. You always seemed to be giving someone a great deal!

No, I've pretty much narrowed down my collection to the examples I really want to keep. With the CMP out of nice Service Grades via mail order, I'm afraid my days of buying/selling Garands at fair prices are at an end. Especially since few private owners will sell their Garands for what they have in them.

So my collecting interests have shifted; currrently, I'm looking for nice examples of Luxembourg or Argentina contract FN-49's. Now if someone has a LEAD-rebuilt Winchester Garand, I'd be most interested ;)

Last edited:

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past week, there have been several nice backordered SG rifles shipped that were arsenal rebuilds. A guy posted up a nice RRAD last week that he had just received. I am sort of with you though. I ordered another M1D, which I received in less than a week. I also have another SG backordered from the day they took them off of the site. I'm hoping I luck out one last time.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What grade of D did you order, and what was its overall condition? I haven't ordered any SG's in a year, and my track record has been all USGI wood and finish. I don't want to wreck that ;)

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What grade of D did you order, and what was its overall condition? I haven't ordered any SG's in a year, and my track record has been all USGI wood and finish. I don't want to wreck that ;)

This one was a SG. It had a nice USGI birch stock with holes for the cheek pad. It is 1/1 on the barrel readings, but the receiver has a weird two tone finish and I'm not sure if it was caused by improper prep during the park or something got splashed on it and left for years. It appears to be untouched since the rebuild to a D, so that is good!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one was a SG. It had a nice USGI birch stock with holes for the cheek pad. It is 1/1 on the barrel readings, but the receiver has a weird two tone finish and I'm not sure if it was caused by improper prep during the park or something got splashed on it and left for years. It appears to be untouched since the rebuild to a D, so that is good!

Could you post a pic or two of this two-tone appearance, please?

Latest posts

Top Bottom