CNBC Attack on Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this might interesting after awhile if a big step from them(remington) doesnt get done about this tho...either way not good for there PR department...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They include the death in 2000 of nine-year-old Gus Barber of Manhattan, Montana, who was killed on a family hunting trip when his mother's Remington 700 went off as she was unloading it. Barbara Barber has said she is certain her hand was nowhere near the trigger.

WTF was she doing pointing the weapon at her son, at any time??

"Both Remington and experts hired by plaintiff attorneys have conducted testing on guns returned from the field which were alleged to have fired without a trigger pull," Remington's statement says, "and neither has ever been able to duplicate such an event on guns which had been properly maintained and which had not been altered after sale."

Sounds like a bunch of welfare folks wanting to get on the band wagon.

Real similar to a bus wreck in NYC where 31 paying people were on the bus
at the accident, and when the police arrived, 40 some people were on the bus claiming injury....video showed them jumping on the bus after the accident......Scum is all I can say.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In almost all cases of injury shown were unsafe gun handling practices. Leo case shown. trigger improperly adjusted would be my guess. maybe not even a factory trigger.

bankbb1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no fan of CNBC, but this nothing new. I've had snipers and gun store owners that I have known mention this problem for years. Remington will need to find a better response if they dont want a PR nightmare on their hands.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I just watched it. Thought it would be a total hatchet job, but......

I find it "odd" that Remington wouldn't talk to CNBC except for a one page statement after 5 months of requests that says there is no problem and never has been. And it's "odd" that the actual designer figured out that there could be a problem back in the late '40s. He even designed a fix for it with only about 200 sold.

I've worked in manufacturing for about 25 years and I can see just how they would not want to go public and admit it. CNBC said that back when the designer discovered it, it would've added 5.5 cents to the gun to add the part to fix it. The actual part yes, but they didn't state anything about how much tooling cost there would be. That's where the real money is, tooling and equipment to make an additional part ain't cheap. The designer said that it was cost that was the reason they didn't produce his newer design, even though Remington said it was the "best design".

They showed how he made repeated requests to fix it, rename the safety, heck even after he retired he wrote them asking them to not release a new bolt action model without a failproof safety. They even recalled the model 600 but not the 700? :scratch: They redesigned it in the '80's to make it to where the safety didn't have to be switched off before opening the bolt, and they still didn't fix the actual problem?

I wonder how many times they could've made the change needed with all the millions they've settled lawsuits with? I think the gig is up. Remington's days are numbered now. It seems that CNBC tried to give them a chance to respond and do a somewhat objective report much to my surprise. Just too much documentation out there for them to keep denying it, yet they still do. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...

Latest posts

Top Bottom