CO man mauled by bear for birdseed in garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bear mauls Colorado man in his garage
...The man was hospitalized and needed surgery for severe cuts to his head and legs — but he was expected to survive, Colorado Parks and Wildlife said in a statement released Monday.
The man had stored birdseed and other items that could attract bears in his garage at his house near Steamboat Springs, the statement said.
At about 11 p.m. on Sunday he noticed the garage door open and went to close it.
That’s when he saw the bear and two cubs inside, the statement said.
“As the man attempted to slowly back away from the garage, the sow attacked,” the statement said.
Wildlife officials and park rangers tracked down the mother bear, which was put down and sent to a lab for a necropsy. The cubs are still on the loose, but officials are looking to trap and relocate them.
https://nypost.com/2021/05/31/bear-mauls-colorado-man-in-his-garage/

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OUCH.....!!!!!!!!!!!! Mama bears can be really bad news when their cubs are near.....glad the man will be ok and I'm sorry the mama bear was put down as it was only protecting her cubs.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OUCH.....!!!!!!!!!!!! Mama bears can be really bad news when their cubs are near.....glad the man will be ok and I'm sorry the mama bear was put down as it was only protecting her cubs.

If mama bear had ever been trapped before because of being in populated areas, they probably would have euthanized her anyway. We used to camp out in a national forest campground west and north of Trinidad, CO. One year while we were there, they had parked a bear trap (think cylindrical device on a trailer). Rangers told me that the bear had a tag in his ear, so he would be euthanized because he had been trapped in populated areas before.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If mama bear had ever been trapped before because of being in populated areas, they probably would have euthanized her anyway. We used to camp out in a national forest campground west and north of Trinidad, CO. One year while we were there, they had parked a bear trap (think cylindrical device on a trailer). Rangers told me that the bear had a tag in his ear, so he would be euthanized because he had been trapped in populated areas before.
We will be in Grizzly country all summer. We are educating ourselves on living amongst them. Attacks are rare, more than likely to hit by lightning, but the threat is always there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom