Coated lead bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty much exclusive with BBI (black bullets international). Just got in an order of 1000, so that will put me at 4000 so far.
I ordered a sample pack of blue bullets, but my M&P 5" Pro just doesn't like them for some reason. The diameter and OAL is the same as BBI, but they have a little bit different ogive and hang up going into the chamber. I'll experiment with seating them at different depths and see if that clears up the issue.

What bullet did you get? I've never had any of my M&Ps not feed. Are you loading long like the big boys and their STIs? :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
180 grain round nose flat point. My BBI load is 4.6 grains of WST and oal of 1.147. Runs them flawlessly. The blue bullets at the same length do this:
44b3d817aaf8e01356f704500c9c493b.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
180 grain round nose flat point. My BBI load is 4.6 grains of WST and oal of 1.147. Runs them flawlessly. The blue bullets at the same length do this:
...snipped
Did you "plunck" test them in your barrel? Might be a tad long with the different ogive. Now I think Blue is using different moulds than most everyone else. I couldn't find that 135TC bullet on Magmas' site, but thought they may have had a custom made. Doesn't look like it now. The 180TC Bayou runs in my M&P40 just fine but I seat them to factory OAL. I had a bunch loaded long for my Limited gun that I traded. With mine it wasn't the barrel but the mag. Too long to fit, mine doesn't seem to be short throated at all.

Edit: I loaded to 1.180 for the limited gun. I seat them in to 1.135 for the M&P.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you "plunck" test them in your barrel? Might be a tad long with the different ogive. Now I think Blue is using different moulds than most everyone else. I couldn't find that 135TC bullet on Magmas' site, but thought they may have had a custom made. Doesn't look like it now. The 180TC Bayou runs in my M&P40 just fine but I seat them to factory OAL. I had a bunch loaded long for my Limited gun that I traded. With mine it wasn't the barrel but the mag. Too long to fit, mine doesn't seem to be short throated at all.

Edit: I loaded to 1.180 for the limited gun. I seat them in to 1.135 for the M&P.
Yeah, I barrel checked them. Just a light tap on the slide gets it chambered. I'll play with length and see what happens

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No issues at all. USPSA shooters run thousands of them.

Bayou, S&S, Missouri, BBI, and my personal favorite ACME are all using the Hi-Tech coating. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Like shooting plain lead, I won't touch a moly bullet now, they're just too messy. I don't want black residue all over me and my press. I'd still steer clear of titegroup powder but many use it with the Hi-Tech coated without issue. I save it for jacketed. Blue bullets are a different coating but seems to work very well. If they would size their 9mm at .356 like everyone else they would probably shoot a little better. They have a new 135 grain no lube groove TC bullet that I really want to work but I'm still working on getting the groups better. Pricing and customer service are fantastic.

What problems are you having with Titegroup? I've been using it in both 9mm and 45 and haven't had any problems yet.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What problems are you having with Titegroup? I've been using it in both 9mm and 45 and haven't had any problems yet.

It burns very hot and it will make uncoated lead bullets tumble (sometimes) and I've seen a fibre optic rod or two melted out of the front sight during practice sessions and a quick 30+ rounds with a revolver will get the cylinder hot enough to burn you during a reload. These are with .38 special target loads, not magnums.

It is a good powder for jacketed and plated, it's very consistent and economical. I'm loading some .380 with it as we speak, just took a break actually.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth on trying the coated ones. Right now Im shooting plated. Where is the cheapest to order from?

They are all probably within a $.01 apiece of each other, just take your pick. I much prefer coated over plated. They are more accurate, cheaper and far less finicky to load. The only thing about plated is they are so damn clean shooting but some guns just won't shoot them straight.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are all probably within a $.01 apiece of each other, just take your pick. I much prefer coated over plated. They are more accurate, cheaper and far less finicky to load. The only thing about plated is they are so damn clean shooting but some guns just won't shoot them straight.

Mine really likes the Berrys plated bullets. They are .10 or .12 per round of 40 depending on if I order 1000 or 250. Guess I need to see if I can save money with the coated bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom