Coating Bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone coated their own cast bullets? I shot some Blue Bullets not long ago and I liked them. I have about 2500 cast bullets on hand that I would like to get coated.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a little bit of powder coating my own cast bullets ... pistol and rifle. Honestly, I haven't shot any of them yet. Swampratt was experimenting with it. Results look good, but I don't know how they will shoot.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tinkered with both the powder coating and using the enamel spray paint, to me personally it isnt worth the effort that you put into it. But i havent shot enough of them to make a fair judgement.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just started casting and coating our own this summer. We're still trying to get the hardness and size right. Had some real soft ones that were sized .400 for a .40 and they shot terrible unless we slowed them down. Opened the sizer up to .401 and used harder lead and they are now shooting pretty dang good. Dont use black powder and the cheap harbor freight stuff does not seem to do nearly as well.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Go to Harbor Freight and get a bottle of powder coating paint. Put some in a plastic butter tub add a few unlubed and degreased cast bullets and shake gently to coat. The fiction of the bullets and paint against the plastic tub should create enough of a static charge to cause the paint to stick to the bullets. Wearing plastic gloves, place the coated bullets on a metal sheet pan in a toaster oven (DO NOT use sweetie pie's oven!) and bake at around 450 degrees until the powder melts. Remove the bullets and let cool. If done correctly, the powder coating WILL NOT come off the bullets under any circumstances - even during impact.

Latest posts

Top Bottom