Cochlear Implants??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Luck Gary!
As one with a major hearing impairment, I can feel your pain about getting it done and the new world that improved hearing can bring to your life.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck, Guy. But, here's a fair warning....

....you may be disappointed with the voices of stars in the movies. Some might even grate on your sensibilities.

Same with other sounds. My mother went for years with turning up the TV to where the neighbors could hear it better than she could. When she was finally convinced, she got hearing aids. I went back for a visit once and she wasn't wearing them, so I asked why. She said, "Can you not imagine how horrible the sound of a flushing toilet is or the dripping of a faucet."

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I met a man at the YMCA in Norman that I got to talking to and he had this procedure. Both him and I were getting teary eyed as I started to ask him questions. He was in his early to mid 50's, and from what he was telling me he was deaf (sign language and all). So I started asking him about music, hearing people's voices, etc.

I say all that to say this guy was inspiring and he said it changed his world. Best of luck to you and I hope you get it and it works out.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh went totally deaf in both ears due to an infection. He has Cochlear implants in both now.

I'll end up with one at least. I'm told I need one now in my left ear as I'm under 60% speech recognition in it but when I was tested I was tested. They said I "was clear". I told them I wasn't but they insisted I was. I knew better because I could fell the pressure inside. I think they just wanted to sell Hearing Aids and maybe an implant. Haven't been checked since as I was put off the whole process. I need to find another I guess.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh went totally deaf in both ears due to an infection. He has Cochlear implants in both now.

I'll end up with one at least. I'm told I need one now in my left ear as I'm under 60% speech recognition in it but when I was tested I was tested. They said I "was clear". I told them I wasn't but they insisted I was. I knew better because I could fell the pressure inside. I think they just wanted to sell Hearing Aids and maybe an implant. Haven't been checked since as I was put off the whole process. I need to find another I guess.
If you are anywhere near Enid, I am going to Hedges at the NOC campus. If that's too faraway, ask your health-care provider if there is one near you. A referral may be required.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with what your primary physician suggests. Many years ago, I was referred to an audiologist in OKC, who tested me and found I had lost the ability to hear some high frequencies. He tested me by putting me in a sound proof room and wearing headphones to hear the sounds that he generated. About a year ago, the wife and I went to the hearing center at Costco in Utah. With that test, we went into a soundproof room, but the tester guy stayed in the room, clicking on the computer to generate the sounds. We didn't have full headphones, so we could hear him typing away and every other sound in that room.

Our hearing is OK, although both of us do have ringing in our ears. Point is, go with someone other than a hearing aid place for testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom