Cochlear Implants??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with what your primary physician suggests. Many years ago, I was referred to an audiologist in OKC, who tested me and found I had lost the ability to hear some high frequencies. He tested me by putting me in a sound proof room and wearing headphones to hear the sounds that he generated. About a year ago, the wife and I went to the hearing center at Costco in Utah. With that test, we went into a soundproof room, but the tester guy stayed in the room, clicking on the computer to generate the sounds. We didn't have full headphones, so we could hear him typing away and every other sound in that room.

Our hearing is OK, although both of us do have ringing in our ears. Point is, go with someone other than a hearing aid place for testing.
Oh my, yes!! That's why I'm going to Hedges in Enid. They're affiliated with NOC as I understand and are not connected to a manufacturer.

Besides, there's NO question at all about my hearing loss. Boeing tested it many times as well as the government (courtesy of the US army when I went in for my draft physical in 1970) and there is a serious loss in all frequencies and a profound loss in many of them and it is getting a lot worse. I could't hear a conversation in my cousin's living room when my brothers came back for my wedding in July.

After that, I asked my nurse practitioner for a referral and she gave me Hedges.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just FYI - Hedges is NOT affiliated with NOC in any way. Totally independent. They just happen to be near their campus. When Hedges was founded years ago, there was a connection with Phillips University. They are now a United Way agency.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just FYI - Hedges is NOT affiliated with NOC in any way. Totally independent. They just happen to be near their campus. When Hedges was founded years ago, there was a connection with Phillips University. They are now a United Way agency.
All right; thanks for the correction. I guess I put 2+2 and came up with 17.

That's the second time in my life I was wrong. The first time was when I thought I was wrong but I wasn't.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the new "hearing pill" under development by an operation affiliated with Hough Ear Institute. Supposedly to regrow the ear hairs that are responsible for hearing. Fat chance they'll have it in the market in time for me, though.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the new "hearing pill" under development by an operation affiliated with Hough Ear Institute. Supposedly to regrow the ear hairs that are responsible for hearing. Fat chance they'll have it in the market in time for me, though.

I hadn't heard of that one. Wouldn't that be nice?!?!?!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Hedges today and found that I qualify for the implants. The audiologist said that the threshold was 33% loss for the implant and mine is over 60%. She loaned me a couple of hearing aids until I get squared away with the implant, and I can hear much better with these than i could with the aid I had before.

Next step is to contact the surgeon and he'll schedule an MRI or CT scan of my ears to make sure that nothing will obstruct the surgery.

Wish me luck, please.

Latest posts

Top Bottom