Cochlear Implants??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a progress report.

Yesterday I got the thing semi-fitted. So far, it is a bunch of sounds like feedback when you hold a microphone too close to a speaker, and I go back to Hedges once a week for four weeks and then once a month for a while. Kim, my audiologist, tells me that I have to get used to it and that she will do periodic adjustments on it until it sounds right. She also says that I need a stronger magnet on the external device to hold it to my head better. She says that it will get better.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a progress report.

Yesterday I got the thing semi-fitted. So far, it is a bunch of sounds like feedback when you hold a microphone too close to a speaker, and I go back to Hedges once a week for four weeks and then once a month for a while. Kim, my audiologist, tells me that I have to get used to it and that she will do periodic adjustments on it until it sounds right. She also says that I need a stronger magnet on the external device to hold it to my head better. She says that it will get better.

Glad to hear you're making progress! Sorry I couldn't meet up with you yesterday - the schedule got even busier/crazier than I thought!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still sounds like feedback but it is picking up sounds and sending them via the otic nerve to my brain, (yes; in what might surprise some of you, I do have one) which has to learn to process the new impulses into intelligible speech, etc.

On another hearing-related subject, I am now getting closed--captioning on my new LG blu-ray player. It seems that they solved the problem of mixing analogue (CC) with digital (HDMI), which, as I understand it, was the reason that CC did not work with early HDMI connections. For me, that is great news as I have a fair number of DVD's with CC but no subtitles which I can play on my blu-ray. You have to activate it on my remote, but that'snot a big deal.

Happy days are here once more.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went in for another visit with Kim and she said that I am definitely picking up sounds from the CI, and the tones were all within the 'conversational' range of around thirty to sixty decibels which is a great improvement. And that is across the board in ALL frequencies, while before the surgery, I had a profound loss at the higher frequencies, and a serious loss in the others.

The problem remains however that my brain has yet to learn to 'process' the sounds that it gets from the implant, and it still sounds like very annoying feedback, which I mentioned earlier.

Bottom line is that I am making progress; too slowly to suit me, but progress, just the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom