Coehorn Mortar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, me and my boys were just looking on Internet and saw some of these Coehorn Mortar cannons and bowling ball cannons and mortars. I’ve been around a Coehorn mortar that shot concrete filled beer cans. It was awesome. Looking for someone that has had one or built one etc. anyone have any experience? What’s the best brands? Seems I saw some mortars with 2.25” bore and some with 3” bore. I measured a 16oz soda can (didn’t have any 12oz cans handy) and it’s about 2.5”…to shoot cans are people using the 3” and the size being .5” smaller than bore just doesn’t matter or? Anyone have one for sale? Any and all discussion welcome here.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, me and my boys were just looking on Internet and saw some of these Coehorn Mortar cannons and bowling ball cannons and mortars. I’ve been around a Coehorn mortar that shot concrete filled beer cans. It was awesome. Looking for someone that has had one or built one etc. anyone have any experience? What’s the best brands? Seems I saw some mortars with 2.25” bore and some with 3” bore. I measured a 16oz soda can (didn’t have any 12oz cans handy) and it’s about 2.5”…to shoot cans are people using the 3” and the size being .5” smaller than bore just doesn’t matter or? Anyone have one for sale? Any and all discussion welcome here.
How can I help you?

I do mortars and can help you.

1672751861348.png

I built these four guns; one golf ball, two pop cans and one bowling ball. I might be persuaded to sell a pop can mortar and would discuss selling the bowling ball mortar.

If you want an actual copy of a replica Coehorn Mortar, I suggest you visit the link list on GBO Outdoors Cannon Page. https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/blackpowder-cannons-links-list.1937/#post-1933205 Some of the links are broken. If you google the title in the link, if the company is still around you can find them.

There are cannon and mortars for sale all over the internet but before you buy do your research, ask questions. Ask the maker if the cannon or mortar complies with the cannon construction safety standards of the North South Skirmish Association. If they say no or give you some story about how safe their guns are, walk away.

If you have basic welding and wood working skills and tools my recommendation would be look at Coehorn Mortar | Hern Iron Works . You can get plans for this gun from Antique Ordnance Publishers - 2020 Catalog Sheets Plan set 22. These plans are incredible and worth far more than what you pay.

I also have a Dictator Mortar I might sell.

1672753229183.png

The one of the left. Both of the these guns are popcan bore. The one on the left weighs 93 lbs. It is a beast.

Here is a link to one of my posts on my guns. Mile shot-site survey

You can shoot popcans full of cement or buy zinc popcan size round balls from Zinc Cannon Ball Pop Can Mortar ~2.59" with gates- You clean and grind

The plus part of zinc round ball is they are recoverable and reshootable. The negative side is that metal prices are high so you definitely want to recover them to reshoot them.

I don't make a or sell mortars, any more. I do have them in my personal collection. I am getting old and these are just collecting dust in the back of the shop, I could be persuaded to part with one or two.

I would also be willing to help you find a safe gun out there. Ask me first and I will help you. Ask me second and I will tell you the brutal truth. Don't buy before you research.

My bowling ball mortar has fired a bowling ball GPS measured 1.04 miles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom