Coffee Bean Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For the coffee grinders among you, I am going to be trying some new beans in the near future, and wanting some recommendations on sources / flavors / brands to try. And by "flavors" I don't mean peppermint or vanilla, I mean different beans or roasts.

Thank you!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been buying from here. They have sampler packs so you can see what you like. Once you find one if you buy enough it works out to about the same price as buying 8'Oclock brand whole bean from WalMart. Just get past the threshold and get the free shipping. I'm buying the Colombian half caff currently.

https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I've tried all of the Kicking Horse and Death Wish beans from Amazon, I've liked them all with really no favorite over the other.....all good.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do you want pre-roasted or are you interested in learning to roast your own? If you want to roast yourself, then you have a lot more control and can really see how different roasts bring out different qualities in a bean.

Lots of great roasters out there but a lot of really bad ones, too. The sooner you drink it after roasting (after it's had a day or two to degas) the better it will be. If you are ordering online, find a place or two that will roast the day they ship. I think Pete's does this, as well as Bonjo Java out of nashville.

I've personally been enjoying some of the lighter roasts of Ethiopian beans. Specifically the ones that have berry flavors on the front end.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'll also add that the darker the roast you go, the less flavor you'll get from the bean. Personally i think doing a dark roast well is a very difficult thing. Pete's does a good job IMHO. They keep the 'burnt' flavor to a minimum, which a lot of places can't seem to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a dark roast guy. The French roast beans from SAMs are pretty good for mass roasted.
We drink a lot of coffee, so that's our staple, but if we get out of town to speciality shops, we stay with beans from Jamaica.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NikatKimber....I am a huge coffee snob. Trust me on this... Drive up to Tulsa, go to DoubleShot (18th/Boston), Have them make you a latte or pour over, or even an Americano. Enjoy the bliss that is magical ground brewed goodness. Then buy some of their beans (roasted on site every week)...either let them grind to your specs, or if you have a GOOD Burr grinder you can do it yourself (don't use one of those spinny-blade grinders). Now enjoy your newfound addiction at home.

Edit...I buy the Ambergris Espresso Roast. It's the best I've had ever. Even going to the Doka Coffee Plantation in Costa Rica...not even close to Ambergris

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ MDT is just into it for the Latte art lol :) This is my mom's new discovered place, and gets coffee beans from DoubleShot any time she's down there from B'ville. I've yet to try any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom