Coin Collecting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a penny collector.

Couple of years ago I show up to a house in Norman to pick up a “bag” full of them and when I actually opened the bag it was about half and half wheat and Nazi 1 cent coins with the swastika and all. The lady said she had no idea where they came from and told me to keep them and replaced them with Mercury Dimes because she was so embarrassed.

I still have all of them, they are not worth anything from what I can tell.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're 90% silver.
I have a can with pre-1964 US coins that my mother started and I EDC a 1921 Morgan silver dollar in my change pocket; that way I'm never broke.
Don't keep your coins in a metal can if you value them.
Why? Most cans are steel, & if moisture gets 'involved', your coins can rust.
Also; separate any ferrous objects ( small hardware, pins/buttons, foreign iron based coins, and STEEL Cents) from the herd.
Keep them in pottery, ceramic, glass, or other inert material containers. Even coins that are of different metallic compositions can chemically react & discolor each other. Wrap up or pkg. anything you'd like to preserve in some sort of 'approved' material- like acid free paper or some type of non-reactive plastic.
And yeah, small magnets are very useful when dealing with 'mystery' metals.

I once bought some blackish metal 'chunks' at a swap-meet. They 'Yoostabe' 1/2 a small coffee can of 1950 era pocket change....BEFORE the house burnt down. I could still 'I D' some of the 'burn victims' as Buffalo & Jefferson nickles, Mercury dimes, a few Lincoln cents...as they hadn't totally liquefied in the heat...but, having similar melting points- most were now 'slag'. I eventually refined the silver from some of it, but kept the rest 'as was'.

The moral to all this, I suppose, is to 'baby' the good stuff.
Store your metals separately.
Keep them away from chemicals (salts/acids) & moisture.
AND; avoid contact with high heat (450-1250 F) & yer headin' straight into Trouble Town ;-}

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s my best cent…. Very nice may have paid $15 for it.

D30641B4-B97F-45B7-B393-BCFBC2798FFD.jpeg
0AF19183-4ACE-453F-817C-CFB0887E8F8B.jpeg

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a group of Franklin proofs I found in an old filing cabinet upstairs I didn’t know I had🤣 It was like😲Christmas, wish I had remembered to remember to purchases the 50,51, and 52 the big money coins.🤷‍♂️

I definitely have too much crap😂 I am an avid half dollar collector.

C2314F19-9A05-4189-8370-DE41348B64BC.jpeg

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just don’t over pay complete proof sets from the 60’s run $25…. Most of the latter 50’s are $30-$50. eBay is your friend in determining values. They add in the juice and your bargain is a ripoff many times.

Auctions are fun though you never know what may turn up.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Beware the cable TV shows like RCTV and Rick Tomaska. I tuned in briefly the other night and he was hawking 2021 rereleased Morgan Silver Dollars. The CC privey mark coin that I paid about $80 in 2021 he's now selling for $595. The colorized 2022 Purple Heart coin that I just paid $99 for is going for $250+.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 1944 Jefferson War Nickel in change the other day. Worn but still has silver content.
Ah, yes 'War Nickles'. One of my favorite types of 'Worn Nickles'
A curious product of 20th C Wars.
When economic conditions caused 'bullet metal' (Cu/Brass) to be temporarily worth more than 'monetary metal' (Ag).
.....Until the Military 'went nuclear'.
Then the 'US Gvmt.' took the Silver out of the 'munny' supply to make 'nukes'-
https://discover.hubpages.com/education/The-Manhattan-Project-and-The-Borrowed-Silver.The only thing more important to Big Banks (Fed/ECB/IMF) than commodities is WAR.
Wars make an absolute KILLING for Satan's Bankers!
It's basically the (13) 'Family Business'!

Latest posts

Top Bottom