Coin Collectors--Reverse Proof Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK fellow Numismatists...sorry to leave you Philatelists' out of this.

So this year, the mint put out an "S" mint Reverse Proof set.

Supposedly, the mintage was set at 200,000 sets and they were sold out by (I think) May or June. I have seen some figures that claim that they minted 220,000 sets.

I heard some guy on HSN the other night (don't ask) say that he personally ordered 10% of the mintage, broke up the sets and had the coins graded to get MS70 coins.

I've been watching these on ebay for a while and see A LOT of individual coins that have been broken out of the mint sets and graded, or just offered in lots of 5, 10, and/or rolls.

I've seen a definite increase in the price of the mint sets over the past month or so, and a definite decrease in the availability of ungraded coins, and lot sizes of ungraded coins.

Just curious. Especially since the 2018-S Reverse proof (in most of the coins) is both the FIRST time the Reverse Proof has been offered (there are I think 14 other reverse proof varieties out there in the Kennedy Halves and Sac dollars) and the lowest mintage of any of the coins in the set. Think about it. The Lincoln 2018-S reverse Proof Cent is less than 1/2 the Lincoln 1909-s VDB mintage. And I'm thinking that only between 50-75,000 coins will be individually available.

So I'm wondering...

What do you think that these coins will do in the future?

How many complete sets are actually left?

Do you think that complete sets, due to their decreased numbers from mintage, will increase in value ahead of individual coins?

Dave

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'm not a Numismatist...did I even spell that correctly?

I did however, get a very interesting quarter in change a few weeks ago from the local auto parts store.

This guy apparently had a very tough time at the mint.

Several letters are missing from the obverse. Same with the reverse. It shows the same pattern in missing letters,
like it got side swiped by a bad die or something.

The thing that got my attention was the complete lack of silver plating on the reverse side....just bare copper. It didn't get the "clad" I think they call it.
20180926_102011.jpg
20180926_102038.jpg

Please forgive the poor photography....I'm also not a photographer.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting coin. Could be from wear or could be a genuine error coin.

I'm no expert on it, but I'd think if it was just wear, it wouldn't be so pronounced in several areas.

I'd hold on to it until I was sure. Just not sure how to verify that stuff.
Maybe cruise thru ebay and search something like "mint error quarter" and see if anything else similar is listed?

Dave

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I collect silver and gold cons and in my opinion a "valuable" coin could be kept for years or even decades before it really appreciated in value significantly. The 2008W $50 American Buffalo was much sought after and sold at a premium a few years ago but today they've gone down in value ? why?

Latest posts

Top Bottom