Coleman gurus, I could use some guidance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent a lot of nights sitting on the rip rap on lake dam fishing with a Coleman lantern. And they attract snakes, rats and bugs galore.
That they do. Two younger cousins and myself were frog gigging waist deep in a creek in NC Ok one summer night. Oldest cousin was holding the coleman lantern for area light while I was holding the spotlight and gig. Oldest was in the rear and kept complaining about something bumping him but when he turned around nothing was there.
I'd been doing this long enough to know what it was but said nothing until he turned quickly and saw it was a water snake following in his wake that would bump him when he stopped eating the bugs the lantern mantle that was hot killed.
I've read in the great book about a guy that could walk on water, and personally witnessed an event myself.
Ol' Fred was out of that creek in a heartbeat screaming like a banshee. He would not get back in, so we had to walk back to the vehicle across several wheat fields in the middle of the night.
That's one of the coleman stories. I'm sure there are more but none better.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dual fuel... Has anyone here actually used gasoline in one of these lanterns? I can't imagine putting one of the most volatile flash over fuels in a lantern and then lighting its vapor.🤔

All the time. It’s funny that people wonder this seeing as this use to be common place from the early 1900s to probably the 90s or later. My mother actually asked me this same question as you. White gas is the same as pump gas other than the additives to it. You can actually Distill pump, gas, and turn it into white gas.

As for using pump gas, it is best to put some carburetor cleaner in the fount or tank before you add it. A capful is good enough to help keep the generator clean. The additives in pump gas cause the gasoline to spoil so when not in use it’s best to dump it as in empty the fount or tank. White gas on the other hand not having the additives doesn’t go bad. You can get a 10 15 20 year old can of white gas and it still works.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always stored my Coleman Lanterns, Stoves and Heaters dry tanks when not in use. Let them dry and spray a bit of WD-40 in the tank. Is that correct procedure?

@2busy Any main place to buy parts? I need a Globe for a 220.

Last edited:

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine today too. Thanks for whoever dropped the target link.👍Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Lol. Do you have to keep pumping it up periodically as the gas is used up or just to start it? Directions were a little lacking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom