Coleman Lantern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That's a good lantern, and probably arguably better than the ones made today.

A spring-loaded valve is part of the cylinder, when you screw it on it opens the valve to supply the lantern/stove with it's fuel, when you unscrew it the valve closes. Those green 1 pound tanks are currently 2 for $10 (Used to be 2 for $4 bucks, that's inflation for you. ) Very safe.

Walmart sells the green propane bottles in the camping section, hardware stores, sporting goods stores, pretty much anywhere. They're considered to be throwaway units, but a lot of folks refill them from their BBQ grill sized tank (20 pounder or about 4 gallons propane).

( You can even buy brand new made to refill same size 1 pound bottles.)

You can run it off of larger size propane tanks. You can get a hose and run it off your BBQ 20 pound tank , (and there are some smaller refillable tanks).

You can also take your BBQ 20 pounder tank, get a "distribution tree" to mount on it, and run your lantern as well as a propane powered Coleman stove with it. It's quite a bit more convenient to have that capacity, it's not convenient when the little 1 pound bottle goes empty, lol. Most often you'd just see folks using a 5 foot-ish length of extension hose from the 20-pounder to the lantern or stove.
'
You got a lot of versatility there to be used. There are tons of youtube videos, just search Coleman Propane Lantern and you can learn a lot. They're safe to use and easy as well. All replacement parts are available, don't toss it in the trash, just fix it. Easy Peasy.

And just to emphasize, as mentioned above, don't lose or throw away the green plastic base thing, it stabilizes the lantern when sitting. Just move it from the old green bottle to the new green bottle.

You should keep it and learn to operate it. It's a darn good backup to have for storms and other such events, or if you don't camp you could learn and take the kiddos overnight, fishing trip, etc etc.

(And by the way, just to clarify, the standard ordinary everyday propane tank for your backyard BBQ grill is usually called a 20-pounder, yet it weighs about 35-37 pounds when full. It actually holds about 4.5 gallons when full, but most places fill to about the 4 gallon level to allow for expansion and venting. Extremely safe and reliable)

Best wishes to you, enjoy.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
i agree with everyone and am happy to see youre saving it. i have a collection of lanterns myself. i found an old lantern stove top at an antique store about a year ago thats really neat.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I probably have near 100 lanterns some dating to the 1920's. Plus Aladdin lamps and hurricane lanterns. Plus Coleman stoves single burners to 3 burners.
IMG_20220414_145044475.jpg

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
6FA8D327-6A65-4DD2-81AD-56E29270732F.jpeg
These belonged to my late father. The one on the left never worked for him. I got a “valve removal tool” for the pump check valve to be able to replace it (DAMN it was tight!). I used the old Coleman fuel that was with them-I know it was at LEAST 25 years old-new mantles, cleaned generators, worked fine! Sold me on that stuff, so it’s all I use now. They’ve come in handy several times the last few years…..

Silverbullit

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It shouldn't leak, but if it's been on the lantern that long it might leak. Take it off and put a little soapy water on the valve to see if it's leaking. If it does you can just put it back on the lantern.
Absolutely. Do this. Its ok to leave it on the lantern. Get a supply of propane and new mantles. WalMart has both.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone know a substitute of the old style "Coleman fuel" or "white gas" that will work on the very older original units?
I’d say bite the bullet and buy the proper fuel. I’ve cleaned lanterns that had gasoline used in them, and the fuel left them in terrible condition (I’m told it’s the additives for automobiles…). Conversely, I’ve revived lanterns that had the same coleman fuel in them for not years but decades and the lantern AND fuel worked flawlessly. Of course no one can make guarantees, but this guy is convinced……..

Latest posts

Top Bottom