Collapsible Baton Legality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gecko77799

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys....specifically you law enforcement types I've got a question for you. A friend of the family refuses to go the CCW route....I know I know....don't get me started on that one. Anyway she would have no problem carrying a collapsible baton and pepper spray. She's already carrying spray but are there any legal issues with carrying a baton? I wouldn't think so but I just want to be sure.

If it is legal does anyone know who sells them locally at a reasonable price?

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would assume it would be considered an offensive weapon. But I am not a LEO.

TITLE 21 § 1272. Unlawful carry
UNLAWFUL CARRY
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her
person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any
pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any
dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife,
sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the
knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any
other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or
unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That offensive weapon part is a bunch of crap. I know alot of people who walk around carry a large stick and it wouldn't be a stretch at all to label that as an offensive weapon. I would carry that or an Asp if I went out walking just to DEFEND myself from dogs or whatever else I may need one. I guess I find it ridiculous it's okay to carry a gun, but can't carry a less than lethal alternative, not that it would be used against another person, but more likeyl against a dog. I can see alot of implications on using a less than lethal device on another person, but even then I should be allowed.

Not to start a them vs us kinda thing, but I know officers can and do carry batons, but would you be able to carry brass knuckles, blackjack or billy club? I know that most departments have regulations against it, but if there wasn't one would you legally be able to carry one? I guess I find it offputting that an officer would be carrying something labeled as an "offensive" weapon vs a defensive weapon. Understand I'm not bashing one bit, I see the baton as a compliance tool and strictly defensive, but as any weapon can be defensive it can be used offensively in the wrong person's hands.

Another thing I wonder about is I know that some of the animal control officers for OKC carry them or they used to anyways. I don't know if they are CLEET or not. And again they are one of those people that I don't blame one bit for carrying them. Heh one of reasons that was explained to me and that was for ostriches, guess they like to knock you down and kick the crap outta ya.

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No bashing required, hell I think we should be able to carry anything we damn well please. After all we are responsible law-abiding citizens. The turds that would attack you are not, and he will be carrying whatever he pleases.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell her to get a SHORT ASP instead of a longer one. Thataway, when a bad guy takes it away from her and shoves it up her ass, it won't hurt as bad.

Some pepper spray and a good pair of running shoes would be a better choice. If she's confronted, she should blast the guy right in the eyes and run like hell.

And yes, speaking as a cop, I think it's nuts that you can carry a firearm, but not a baton. :scratch:

The very same way that beer is a NON INTOXICATING BEVERAGE but if you get stopped after having a few, you are under arrest for Driving under the influence of an INTOXICATING LIQUOR. :lookaroun

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A collapsible baton will be useless for someone who doesn't care enough about their own protection to carry a firearm.

A stick, especially one as light as a collapsible baton, takes years of dedicated training to use effectively by someone for whom it isn't simply a hand enhancer i.e. a large male.

The collapsible baton probably ranks as the "tool most likely to fail" in the police arsenal. So much so, that I don't even carry one and I did train for years in a stick-based martial art and am a large male.

If I need an impact weapon, I use a straight hickory baton.

For a woman's purposes, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for a firearm or fixed blade accompanied by a fighting mindset and the ability to manage unknown contacts; NOTHING ELSE EVEN COMES CLOSE.

OC spray is a good COMPLEMENT to a firearm but not even remotely close to being a substitute.

It sounds like the bigger issue is fighting mindset in your friend's case.

When someone says they are willing to defend themselves but unwilling to carry a firearm, my B.S. detector goes off.

You friend needs a much better wake-up call first and foremost but she can only come to that decision on her own.

Until then, try to make sure she understands that she's only deceiving herself when it comes to personal protection.

Women are much more introspective and much less prone to self-delusion than men so this line of reason has been successful for me in the past.

Michael Brown

gecko77799

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. She actually has been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about a year so she has the defensive mindset but for whatever reason refuses to touch a gun. She has no problems with anything else....pepper spray, baton, knife...etc but didn't want to tell her its okay to carry a baton if it wasn't. It drives us crazy she won't touch a gun despite us offering to train her but that's up to her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom