Collapsible Baton Legality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
May I ask why 21 feet? (just trying to learn, not being condescending)

A bad guy with a knife 21 feet or less away from you will be on you carving you up before you can draw your weapon.A highly trained knife fighter w/in 21 feet will be on you before you can fire EVEN if you have your gun drawn.See videos of Danny Insanto(SIQ). Steve

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big-Tex, there is a LE training video that many of us have seen depicting a knife attack against a duty belt holstered pistolero. From 21', the "knife" wielder,(carrying a baton for demonstration purposes), was able to cover that distance and stab the pistolero,(in his armor padded belly), in 1.5 seconds, before pistol cleared leather. A sobering revelation to me. The fact that a determined edged/pointed weapon attack could happen from distances much further than pointblank/arms length was news to me. You could probably find it on youtube.

Reaction score
My dog was attacked by a loose dog a while back. I had to take him to the vet to get stitches for $115. This was before I started carrying anything.

Now I carry a collapsible baton every day I take my dog for a walk. I had to make it ready for use once. A loose dog charged my dog, and I immediately displayed my baton. I simply held the baton in front of myself at an angle so the dog could see it. If it was going to bite anything, it would be steel. The dog stopped charging and nobody got hurt. The owner came out saying "Sorry" but didn't do much to help control their dog. I'm glad I had the baton, and even happier that I didn't have to hurt someone's loose pet.

I carry the baton, a knife or two, and one to three guns. The baton is really only for defense against loose dogs.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the deal, I work in a building that at one time had many muggings in Tulsa. During that time I carried a 3 foot thermocouple to my car every night when I worked late, I can swing that thing like a baseball bat. My dad wanted me to get a concealed weapons liscense but lets be real I am a girl with PMS. Do you know how many ppl tick me off in one day... I am not crazy. Now my question is can I as a civilian, carry a collapsible baton to protect myself? I would be interested in taking courses on how to use them properly and efficiently. I don't like the idea of pepper spray because hell I would rather knock the crap out of someone trying to rob me than spray them with some stinky crap. My dad taught me enough to protect myself but I would like just a bit more.. So if anyone with actual law information could reply to this so I know and my dad can buy me one for a late christmas present. I heard that anything 18 inch and longer would be illegal, so please enlighten me on this information. Thank you.

:shocked: What is your deal? Is this a joke? Because if it is it is not funny. And if it isn't then you need to remember that the pass they gave you was only for a day and you need to go back to Griffin ... NOW. It is just about time for them to pass out the meds for today.

No wonder men think women are crazy ... :explode:

ThaMastaChief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:shocked: What is your deal? Is this a joke? Because if it is it is not funny. And if it isn't then you need to remember that the pass they gave you was only for a day and you need to go back to Griffin ... NOW. It is just about time for them to pass out the meds for today.

No wonder men think women are crazy ... :explode:

Now THAT is a BB post. :owned3:

I second that one as well.

Word to tha real girls of OSA.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bad guy with a knife 21 feet or less away from you will be on you carving you up before you can draw your weapon.A highly trained knife fighter w/in 21 feet will be on you before you can fire EVEN if you have your gun drawn.See videos of Danny Insanto(SIQ). Steve

Fortunately for us, the majority of muggers and misc. knuckleheads of the world that weild a knife wouldn't be considered "competent" in knife attacks/defense much less "highly trained".

Just playing the devils advocate here but I'd like to see "21 ft. highly trained knife guy" vs. "highly trained concealed pistol guy" - I'm the furthest thing from an expert but I have seen guys that I would only consider "moderately trained" that are pretty stinkin fast on a concealed draw. My money would be on the guy with the gun.

BTW: I'm watching Inosanto vids right now, but everything I'm seeing is close quarters hand to hand stuff. Can you direct me to something where he's covering ground before the attack? It's interesting stuff - especially cool because he's a Bruce Lee student - who doesn't like Bruce Lee?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW: I'm watching Inosanto vids right now, but everything I'm seeing is close quarters hand to hand stuff. Can you direct me to something where he's covering ground before the attack? It's interesting stuff - especially cool because he's a Bruce Lee student - who doesn't like Bruce Lee?

Police training video called "Surviving Edged Weapons" I think.It also has surveilence video of inmates in the yard of some prison practicing attacking from the "spread legs hands on car" position. Steve

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't argue that a BG dead set on causing you harm could rush you from 21ish feet. The UFC octagon is around that size and those guys can hustle, but I think at that point you should focus on a defensive move rather that offensive; spot/avoid the knife, and use a guard or throw. Then draw and shoot. That's why a concealed handgun isn't an end-all solution. You must have a complete defensive strategy, with multiple options for protection.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ive had several contacts with police. more then id like to admit.
but have always had my asp right next to my seat in plain sight.
the most slake ive gotten was, "thats a nice asp, may i see it?"
i always carry my tactual folder as well, a few officers have asked to "hold it" during the background check ordeal but have always been given back.
i honestly think it would depend on the officer and situation.

IM highly trained in Martial Arts so i would pose a huge threat with either of these weapons, and with in 21 feet.... a hand gun not drawn has little chance.
Thank God for officers with good character perception.

off on a rant, tell her to buy a hammerless revolver.
shes not gonna win a fight with an aggressive male while pulling Guard.

This is assuming the knife guy is trained. We used to play around with this in the academy. If the pistol holder is trained in using his pistol well the knife guy has two in him before getting into range of said pistol guy.I agree someone HIGHLY trained with knives can pose a serious threat. But someone equally trained with a pistol can be VERY fast and accurate. It pays to train.

Latest posts

Top Bottom