Collecting donations for Caribbean volcano relief.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we are putting together a shipment of things to send to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines. For anyone who doesn't know, the volcano there blew up for 2½ weeks and covered most of the island in ash repeatedly, shutting down the regional airports as far away as Barbados 120 miles away, displacing thousands of people into shelters, etc. There are something like 85 shelters currently overflowing in schools, churches, etc.

They are in desperate need of personal items for displaced people - clothing, personal care supplies, etc. If you have anything you were thinking of donating already, please consider letting us send it to these folks.

We are collecting for the next two weekends, but I think I am going to be coming in to OKC THIS weekend to meet up with @CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin to pick up some things and also to get my @17designandmfg lowers at SSP. I can haul a decent amount of stuff with me back to our church where we are collecting things.

If anyone wants to donate monetarily, that would be fine, as well, shipping costs are likely to be astronomical - my family will be paying out of pocket to ship it by freight to Miami and then by boat to Saint Vincent. I expect it to run from several hundred to a couple of thousand dollars.

Here is a list of some items you might consider if you want to contribute:
  • Toilet paper and wet wipes
  • Baby Supplies
  • Diapers (adult and infant/toddler)
  • Deodorant (stick, not aerosol)
  • Toothpaste, toothbrushes
  • First aid kits
  • Soap and hand sanitizer
  • Socks and underwear
  • Masks
  • Paper goods
  • Women's sanitary supplies
  • Tylenol
  • And of course, clothes of all shapes and sizes - as long as they are suitable for warm weather, no coats or jackets or ski pants, please, lol. Also please good quality stuff, not worn out - we don't want to be donating and shipping old ratty stuff that should be thrown out.
Thank you to all for anything you feel led to give, I know we will appreciate it, and the citizens of Saint Vincent & the Grenadines will, as well.

iu

iu

iu

210410143741-0410-st-vincent-volcano-explosion-saturday-exlarge-169.jpg

You'd think the fact they get rain pretty much every day would help wash this stuff away - but it really just turns it into a paste that then dries in the heat and turns almost to concrete. This will literally take months to clean up, even after the eruption stops. I think the last time it blew up was last week sometime. This has been bigger and more disruptive than the 1978 eruption, which was the last time the volcano blew up. Prior to that, it was 1902.

So anyways, hopefully we can get a decent amount of stuff to send - we've got a couple of folding tables' worth so far, but I'm hoping to surprise my wife with the outpouring of what we can achieve.

Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Danny, give me a heads up when you’ll be at SSP. I’d like to help with some shipping costs and some items

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No... haven't done that. Not sure how that works... I'll have to look into it. Not sure if it takes a portion or what. They used to have GoFundMe Charity which was when they acquired Crowdrise, but then they branched that off and it's a separate deal now, we looked into using it for our Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event and it was a joke. I dunno about GFMe now, though... lemme look into that.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
No... haven't done that. Not sure how that works... I'll have to look into it. Not sure if it takes a portion or what. They used to have GoFundMe Charity which was when they acquired Crowdrise, but then they branched that off and it's a separate deal now, we looked into using it for our Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event and it was a joke. I dunno about GFMe now, though... lemme look into that.
No, they work off donations not tied to what you are sent and the donation to them is voluntary. @Catt57 may be able to answer your questions , he set up an account for his sister when she had a fire.
If you do not set one up let me know when your at SSP as well. Have several things going on Saturday but should be able to swing by. Just give me about 30 minutes notice , do not know if I will be in Edmund or OKC .

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks @Catt57. My wife is going to call our accountant today to make sure. I want to keep everything on the up and up, have records of everything, so there's no claim of us trying to defraud anyone or whatever. We do the same thing with SAFE-NOW, the 501(c)(3) we are part of, as she is the President and I am the Medical Director, so I make sure to keep my fingers away from any money and/or any monetary decisions, make sure everything goes through the entire Board of Directors, etc., so there's no question of impropriety.

This thing we're just trying to throw together some stuff to send, but the 2-part shipping complicates things for us a little bit, once to Miami and then once to Saint Vincent. We seem to be getting a fair amount of donations, still have 2 weekends to go, but it's just going to be the logistics of getting it packaged up in barrels to ship and having it picked up or whatever.

Thanks to anyone considering this, I will try to push my wife to get a GFM page set up - I think it would be better for HER to do it, since she is native to St. Vincent, rather than me. It will just look more legitimate and above board. But she has to meet with Fox23 today for a story on our Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event, apparently they saw a TikTok video of the firemen walking in their red high heels and bunker gear (I was in it for a split second, lol) and they want to come do a story. It went viral and got something like 60k likes so maybe we finally got some traction, lol.

Anyways, I'll keep ya'll up to date. Thanks!

17designandmfg

New to the site!
Reaction score
So we are putting together a shipment of things to send to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines. For anyone who doesn't know, the volcano there blew up for 2½ weeks and covered most of the island in ash repeatedly, shutting down the regional airports as far away as Barbados 120 miles away, displacing thousands of people into shelters, etc. There are something like 85 shelters currently overflowing in schools, churches, etc.

They are in desperate need of personal items for displaced people - clothing, personal care supplies, etc. If you have anything you were thinking of donating already, please consider letting us send it to these folks.

We are collecting for the next two weekends, but I think I am going to be coming in to OKC THIS weekend to meet up with @CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin to pick up some things and also to get my @17designandmfg lowers at SSP. I can haul a decent amount of stuff with me back to our church where we are collecting things.

If anyone wants to donate monetarily, that would be fine, as well, shipping costs are likely to be astronomical - my family will be paying out of pocket to ship it by freight to Miami and then by boat to Saint Vincent. I expect it to run from several hundred to a couple of thousand dollars.

Here is a list of some items you might consider if you want to contribute:
  • Toilet paper and wet wipes
  • Baby Supplies
  • Diapers (adult and infant/toddler)
  • Deodorant (stick, not aerosol)
  • Toothpaste, toothbrushes
  • First aid kits
  • Soap and hand sanitizer
  • Socks and underwear
  • Masks
  • Paper goods
  • Women's sanitary supplies
  • Tylenol
  • And of course, clothes of all shapes and sizes - as long as they are suitable for warm weather, no coats or jackets or ski pants, please, lol. Also please good quality stuff, not worn out - we don't want to be donating and shipping old ratty stuff that should be thrown out.
Thank you to all for anything you feel led to give, I know we will appreciate it, and the citizens of Saint Vincent & the Grenadines will, as well.

iu

iu

iu

210410143741-0410-st-vincent-volcano-explosion-saturday-exlarge-169.jpg

You'd think the fact they get rain pretty much every day would help wash this stuff away - but it really just turns it into a paste that then dries in the heat and turns almost to concrete. This will literally take months to clean up, even after the eruption stops. I think the last time it blew up was last week sometime. This has been bigger and more disruptive than the 1978 eruption, which was the last time the volcano blew up. Prior to that, it was 1902.

So anyways, hopefully we can get a decent amount of stuff to send - we've got a couple of folding tables' worth so far, but I'm hoping to surprise my wife with the outpouring of what we can achieve.

Thanks!
If you get it palletized we will pay for the shipping of it to Miami for y’all...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is awesome Dean and 17Designs! Danny I will keep an eye for Gofundme link to help out monetarily. It can be used for shipping, buying items to send whichever it is needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom