College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I literally just saw a 15 second ad at a commercial break of the Broncos/Browns game. One of the quick talking points there will be talking about after the game said something about "Caleb William the next Heisman Winner?" F'n stupid people!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I literally just saw a 15 second ad at a commercial break of the Broncos/Browns game. One of the quick talking points there will be talking about after the game said something about "Caleb William the next Heisman Winner?" F'n stupid people!
They’re not the first to mention that. IIRC, Kirk Herbstreit and the other guy in the booth were talking about that during the TCU game. Their position was that nobody else has really stuck out this year, and all of the preseason favorites have pretty much fallen by the wayside. Caleb has not just had an impact, he has done it at an elite program by replacing a preseason Heisman favorite; if someone had done the same at Alabama (*cough*Tua Tagovaiola*cough*), Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, or another high-profile program, he’d be under the same kind of consideration.

It’s kind of early to be crowning him the next Heisman winner, but he has earned some consideration.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever won the Heisman who only played half the season? I dunno... that seems like a stretch.
Has anyone had as much impact on as big a stage in only a game and a half? It's not like anyone is saying he's a shoo-in, but you can't deny that he's had a huge impact on the whole team--and that impact led to turning an epic butt-whoopin' of a loss in a huge rivalry game into a win.

Also, there's a first time for everything. It wasn't that long ago that he wouldn't even have been under consideration simply because he's a freshman...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had as much impact on as big a stage in only a game and a half? It's not like anyone is saying he's a shoo-in, but you can't deny that he's had a huge impact on the whole team--and that impact led to turning an epic butt-whoopin' of a loss in a huge rivalry game into a win.

Also, there's a first time for everything. It wasn't that long ago that he wouldn't even have been under consideration simply because he's a freshman...

Since 1984 there have been 9 games in which a team came back from 30 plus point deficits to win. None of those QB's won the Heisman. So yes, there have been players who had that kind of impact on their teams, but it takes more than that to win a Heisman. That's the point, if CW is even a finalist, it will be unprecedented.

Being a freshman isn't going to help him much this year, either.

I get it... it's an emotional appeal for Williams to be considered, but pragmatically it's kind of silly to consider him a serious candidate at this point. He probably will be before it's all over...I think Kirk Herbstreit has a vote, so.... No one will be happier than me, whether it's this year or in the next couple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom