College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is dirty. Also, recruiting for a school he hasn’t filed ncaa paperwork to be able to recruit for them. Wonder if anything happens NCAA wise.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...ecruiting-for-both-lincoln-riley-and-oklahoma

Man you'd think HC's would have have seminars teaching the coaching staff the do's and don'ts. Or something.
Don't know if he'll get into any real trouble or not, but it ain't a good look at all.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting bit from The Trojans Wire. Riley already has a squinty set of eyes cast upon him and it's totally justified IMO.

What Lincoln Riley sacrificed in order to become head coach at USC​

Matt Zemek

December 1, 2021 7:39 am PT

As we all sit here, trying to absorb the dizzying plot twists and head-spinning changes in the USC and college football landscapes over the past 72 hours, it’s worth reflecting on what Lincoln Riley gave up to come to USC.

Oklahoma fans will say, “Gave up? Yeah, that’s what Lincoln Riley did, all right! He QUIT on us!”

That’s a separate conversation, but it brings up the point that in the minds of many, Lincoln Riley is going to USC to make his life easier.
He ducked the SEC, people will say. There’s some truth there.

He wanted out of OU’s compliance department, others claim. There’s some truth there as well.

He goes from Norman to Los Angeles. Clear life upgrade. I won’t touch that one, but others certainly will make that point.

Yet, while it’s easy and entirely logical to think Lincoln Riley is trying to make his life easier by going to USC, let’s realize Riley had something special at Oklahoma and walked away from it.

There are two components to this story about the riches and glories Riley pushed aside so he could coach the Trojans in the Pac-12.
The first is the truly important part: At Oklahoma, like Alabama and other places where professional sports do not have a big presence, the flagship university is the only game in town. USC football matters to Angelenos, but if the Trojans suck (as they did this year), there are always the Dodgers and the Lakers. The Rams aren’t in the same category as the Dodgers and Lakers, but they have a history in Los Angeles. The Angels might be good again in 2022. UCLA basketball is back in the center of the national sports conversation. There’s a lot for Los Angeles sports fans to care about, in ways that will never, ever apply to Oklahoma, Alabama, West Virginia, Nebraska, and other states (in basketball, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina) where college sports will always be king.

When a coach makes it big in a college sports state such as Oklahoma, the whole state reveres you (minus the locality of a rival such as Oklahoma State in Stillwater).

People live and die for Oklahoma football. It is THE sport of significance in the cities and towns of the state. Lincoln Riley was building a career, a family and a reputation in the state. Had he stayed for the next 10 years, he was likely to gain that entrenched, permanent status as The Next Great Oklahoma Coach.
By walking away after only five years, he essentially said he was willing to give that up to coach USC.
Riley is being viewed as a traitor in Oklahoma. There will not be a lovefest at any point in the near future. Feelings might soften 30 or 40 years from now, but not in the next 10 to 20.

Riley gave that up. He knew he was giving that up as a consequence of going to USC.

The second thing Riley gave up was his place in college football history, connected to the University of Oklahoma.
USC has struggled since the end of John Robinson’s first tenure in 1982 to find great coaches. Pete Carroll is the one home run before Lincoln Riley. Larry Smith had that great run of three straight Rose Bowls, but his career petered out. Robinson won a Rose Bowl in his second tenure but similarly could not sustain greatness the way he did in his first go-round. Carroll’s three successors all markedly failed. USC, over 39 seasons from 1983 through 2021, has usually fallen short, the Carroll years being the exception.

The folks in Oklahoma would look at this and not understand how a proud football program could allow that to happen.
At Oklahoma, the down years have been the exception, not the rule. Yes, when Barry Switzer left in the late 1980s, shrouded in scandal, OU football declined for a solid decade. Yet, when Bob Stoops came to Norman in the late 1990s, the program was immediately restored, winning a national championship in 2000.

Over the past 75 years, Oklahoma has known very few periods of failure. This is because the Sooners might be the best program in college football history if measured by one specific metric: hiring the most gifted young coaches in college football in various eras.

Bud Wilkinson took over Oklahoma in 1947.
Switzer began his head coaching tenure at OU in 1973.
Stoops came to Norman for the 1999 season.
Lincoln Riley, hired as Stoops’ offensive coordinator in 2015, took over as head coach in 2017.

What do these four men have in common in addition to being great coaches? They were all younger than 40 years old when they began their tenures.
Oklahoma is an exceptional football program in that it has repeatedly hired young coaches with little to no head coaching experience who had great success. No other program can match the Sooners’ track record here — it’s not even close.

Because Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops were all young coaches when they came to Oklahoma, they all stayed for at least 15 years on the job if not more. When Stoops handed the keys to Riley after the 2016 season, he expected Riley to be there for 15 years. This is why Stoops in particular has reason to feel that Riley betrayed him. Oklahomans feel the same way.

Speaking to a USC audience, none of this is a criticism of Riley. It is merely an explanation of the point that while his life might be easier in many ways, there was actually something very profound he chose to walk away from. Oklahomans feel real pain about this, given their school’s heritage. Given everything which has been explained above, I don’t blame them for feeling that way. Do you?

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/20...ome-head-coach-at-usc/?itm_source=parsely-api

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I am still waiting on anyone to provide me with a story where a coach has completely burned down a program when he left……..staff, recruits, etc. Someone show me another coach that has completely screwed over a blue chip school. Don’t say Kelly either he left Notre Dame intact and they have already named a head coach (And hes a good one)

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I am still waiting on anyone to provide me with a story where a coach has completely burned down a program when he left……..staff, recruits, etc. Someone show me another coach that has completely screwed over a blue chip school. Don’t say Kelly either he left Notre Dame intact and they have already named a head coach (And hes a good one)
Well Art Briles did it to Baylor after winning back to back Big 12 championships. They won 1 game the next year I think and they have been brough back twice since then once with Matt Rhule and now with Dave Aranda who has them in another Big 12 championship game. If Baylor can do it then OU can do it.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Art Briles did it to Baylor after winning back to back Big 12 championships. They won 1 game the next year I think and they have been brough back twice since then once with Matt Rhule and now with Dave Aranda who has them in another Big 12 championship game. If Baylor can do it then OU can do it
Well Art didn't leave he was fired, so he didn’t take the staff or all the recruits or existing players, nor did he have a player on staff at his previous job recruiting for his next job (an ncaa violation). He didn't gut the program for another job, the player left because they likely didn't want to be associated with rapists or the culture Briles grew in Baylor. I don’t remember a coach doing what Riley has don but I may have missed a story.

Coach O for example was fired because he was whoring around campus….I would guess Urban Meyer is the same kind of guy he’s always in trouble for something stupid he has done.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking forward to a great Championship Day of College Football. Even though I am a diehard Oklahoma Sooners fan, I will be rooting the Oklahoma State Cowboys on this morning. Let's Go Cowboys!!!

Also hoping Georgia whips Alabama's, a$$ today in the SEC Championship.

Latest posts

Top Bottom