College Kids turning to Prostitution to pay off college bills?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this. Our college system is completely diluted. Almost anyone can get a college degree now if they're willing to borrow the money to pay for it. The government provides credit to people who aren't mature enough to understand the consequences of what they're doing. The colleges have continued to raise tuition as long as they know students can borrow enough to cover it. It's a mess.

That's because we don't mandate life skills in primary education such as finance. That would undermine the higher education Ponzi scheme. :(

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the reason for the increase is not increasing cost. The state is not subsidizing tuition for the most part. The state used to pay about 50% of instate tuitions for every instate student, before the student ever paid anything. Now, the state has pulled that money out of high education tuition costs have increase. Part of the reason for that is families making less than $50,000 a year when the student is in the Eighth grade, but less than $100,000 at gradation receive free tuition. that is redistribution of wealth, upper class families pay more, while lower class pay nothing. Also, as more students are going to college online, their is less money going to state universities which also caused an increase in tuition because fewer students are paying.
Therefore, the increase will eventually level out and not increase at the rates you are seeing.

Not sure about the numbers you threw out. "Free tuition" is not something that is easy to get these days, even if you are in a low income bracket. You're right, though, the a large part of the increase is that states are contributing less to the higher ed budgets.

Another issue, at least with some state schools, is that the legislatures often set rules about who the schools have to admit. For example, if you can graduate from high school in Mississippi, Ole Miss must accept you if you apply. That is not a bad thing, per se, but it does mean that they can't fill that spot with someone who might have better grades and/or someone from out of state who will pay more per credit hour. At least here, it also means that the school needs to provide more 'leveling' classes to bring some of the students up to par with where they should be (math especially).

And my wife, who is a professor, will be the first to tell you that not everyone should go to college.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we brought her into the states on a student visa. Part of why that was so expensive... you think out of state tuition is high? Try international student tuition...
That's the truth! Was about to ask why it was so much as RSU.

Have found out first hand that it isn't only the tuition that is crazy. Have you seen the price of textbooks! Most semesters my books were almost twice what my tuition was.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished paying ~$100k for a 4-year art degree for my niece. WTF, man. <sigh>

<edit> And this was at one of the cheaper schools in the state, Rogers State.

No offense here and please don't take any.

100k for an art degree is absolutely insane and I can see why people can't pay loans back on that. I know a ton of people getting degrees in stupid things like art, political science, liberal arts etc and they are stuck with huge loans and dead end Jobs because there is nothing out there for them. I guess you can lump me into that generation but i have learned a skill and do well with it, sure a degree could help me in the future but for now I'm doing good. I see people I graduated high school with who either are still In school (ten years later) or got a degree and are still working at crest/BestBuy/Office Depot, it's because they didn't choose a marketable skill. I would hope schools would tell people that there's no need for 200+ art majors a year but safely they don't care because they got their money.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the truth! Was about to ask why it was so much as RSU.

Have found out first hand that it isn't only the tuition that is crazy. Have you seen the price of textbooks! Most semesters my books were almost twice what my tuition was.
I use all online, open-access materials in all my courses; and my students love it. Textbooks for profit is a dinosaur model (but still fighting against extinction).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
No offense here and please don't take any.

100k for an art degree is absolutely insane and I can see why people can't pay loans back on that. I know a ton of people getting degrees in stupid things like art, political science, liberal arts etc and they are stuck with huge loans and dead end Jobs because there is nothing out there for them. I guess you can lump me into that generation but i have learned a skill and do well with it, sure a degree could help me in the future but for now I'm doing good. I see people I graduated high school with who either are still In school (ten years later) or got a degree and are still working at crest/BestBuy/Office Depot, it's because they didn't choose a marketable skill. I would hope schools would tell people that there's no need for 200+ art majors a year but safely they don't care because they got their money.

I am a mechanical engineer, and it's still going to take me 10 years to pay off my loans, and I didn't have near 100% of my school on loans. More like 25%. I am finally at the end of that tunnel. My brother is graduating with his ME degree soon and has no loans, because he didn't do the "straight to expensive 4 year college" path, and lived at home for the first couple years.

I use all online, open-access materials in all my courses; and my students love it. Textbooks for profit is a dinosaur model (but still fighting against extinction).

I wanted to hug my professors that did that. I almost wonder if they pay profs who use the current edition textbook. It's ridiculous. I bought a 9th (or whatever it was) edition textbook for calc, only to find out they were going to use the "enhanced" 9th edition - the difference was about 10-15 extra homework problems at each section, and full color vs 2-color. The extra problems I think were thrown in by the publisher to change page numbers, which made it near impossible to use the older (much cheaper) book. I was not thrilled. Another time I bought a current edition physics book ($300), dropped the class and re-enrolled the next semester to find there was a new edition. Another $300. For one class! Screw that!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the numbers you threw out. "Free tuition" is not something that is easy to get these days, even if you are in a low income bracket. You're right, though, the a large part of the increase is that states are contributing less to the higher ed budgets.

Another issue, at least with some state schools, is that the legislatures often set rules about who the schools have to admit. For example, if you can graduate from high school in Mississippi, Ole Miss must accept you if you apply. That is not a bad thing, per se, but it does mean that they can't fill that spot with someone who might have better grades and/or someone from out of state who will pay more per credit hour. At least here, it also means that the school needs to provide more 'leveling' classes to bring some of the students up to par with where they should be (math especially).

And my wife, who is a professor, will be the first to tell you that not everyone should go to college.
http://www.okhighered.org/okpromise/

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to hug my professors that did that. I almost wonder if they pay profs who use the current edition textbook. It's ridiculous. I bought a 9th (or whatever it was) edition textbook for calc, only to find out they were going to use the "enhanced" 9th edition - the difference was about 10-15 extra homework problems at each section, and full color vs 2-color. The extra problems I think were thrown in by the publisher to change page numbers, which made it near impossible to use the older (much cheaper) book. I was not thrilled. Another time I bought a current edition physics book ($300), dropped the class and re-enrolled the next semester to find there was a new edition. Another $300. For one class! Screw that!
I am not sure about now, but 8 years ago Cameron University in Lawton, used the profit off textbooks to pay for the university's operational costs. If a professor did not assign textbooks or change textbooks students still paid for it in fees and tuition.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of this before several years ago. It's not surprising.

I think we need to go towards what Germany has done, and start funneling kids into blue collar training programs like engineering, electrical, plumbing etc. instead of trying to shove them into college.

As Mike Rowe would say!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom