Colorado Bear Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought I would share some photos for a recent black bear rifle hunt with my son in GMU-25 in Colorado. It was a college graduation gift for my son. Really good time. I hired a guide but I think we figured out how we can DIY this in the future. We saw bear every day. The photos are all from my iphone so they aren't the best. IMG_9506.JPG IMG_9511.JPG IMG_9512.JPG IMG_9517.JPG IMG_9520.JPG IMG_9521.JPG IMG_9523.JPG IMG_9529.JPG

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you score a bear?
Beautiful pics. I see the fall leaf colors were starting.
I shot a black bear in 1987 and really didn't think I wanted to harvest another bear, so this was just about helping my son on the hunt. After being out there with him, I am thinking about putting myself back in the hunt next year. We saw 3 bears the first day which was a sow and twins. Day two = 4 bear. Probably same sow and twins and then another bear by itself. We watched the movement of that bear for over 2.5 hours and it never presented a clear shot. It was on the opposite slope of a big ravine in scrub oak and choke cherries. Day three, my son had a shot but I guess there's just something different about pulling that trigger on a live animal. In prep for this trip he fired lots and lots of rounds at paper targets at 200 and 300 yards. Before we got to the lodge, we visited a Colorado rifle range that provided us with elevation changes to shoot at steel silhouette targets and he was hitting those targets but just missed on the bear. He was disappointed in the miss but now he's more driven to go again. The Colorado bear tag for non-resident is really affordable. It dropped from around $350 but small game hunting license and habitat stamp to right around $100 plus the license and stamp.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a black bear in 1987 and really didn't think I wanted to harvest another bear, so this was just about helping my son on the hunt. After being out there with him, I am thinking about putting myself back in the hunt next year. We saw 3 bears the first day which was a sow and twins. Day two = 4 bear. Probably same sow and twins and then another bear by itself. We watched the movement of that bear for over 2.5 hours and it never presented a clear shot. It was on the opposite slope of a big ravine in scrub oak and choke cherries. Day three, my son had a shot but I guess there's just something different about pulling that trigger on a live animal. In prep for this trip he fired lots and lots of rounds at paper targets at 200 and 300 yards. Before we got to the lodge, we visited a Colorado rifle range that provided us with elevation changes to shoot at steel silhouette targets and he was hitting those targets but just missed on the bear. He was disappointed in the miss but now he's more driven to go again. The Colorado bear tag for non-resident is really affordable. It dropped from around $350 but small game hunting license and habitat stamp to right around $100 plus the license and stamp.
Shooting at altitude is a challenge for us flatlanders. I have to rethink everything I know about ballistics when elk hunting in New Mexico at around 8500' to 9000'. Less hold over because the air is thin, no humidity, and other factors like shooting uphill or downhill under those same conditions. It's a whole new ball game.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome pics! Lifelong memories are created on a trip like that. Somehow I missed this the "new threads" is usually how I view the page. Thank you Bobby for bumping this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom