Colorado Elk hunting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m 53 and going on my first Colorado elk hunt North of Pagosa Springs 2nd season (10/30-11/7). What are the essentials needed? No guide Over the counter tag, ordered Danner 800 gram thinsolate boots and may order snow gaiters.
I know a bunch of you elk hunt, please help a rookie out.
Mark
Did you get the American made Danners?

Or the chinese danners?

I used to wear Danner USA made hikers for my every day foot wear!

Somewhere along the line after 2012 they had a price increase from $150 to $350, and I just can not justify the increase!

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get the American made Danners?

Or the chinese danners?

I used to wear Danner USA made hikers for my every day foot wear!

Somewhere along the line after 2012 they had a price increase from $150 to $350, and I just can not justify the increase!
Neither
Turns out they were made in……
Vietnam - I’m not proud of that but what can I do?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toothpick, altitude may be your nemesis. If you can get there a day or two early, that would help alot. Once you get into CO, drink as much water as you can stand especially if start getting a headache. There's a prescription for altitude adjusting but don't recall the name.

If you're concerned about the weather, good for you as there's no idea what it will be like - sunny and 80 or snowing and below zero. I'd check right before leaving to get some idea of a range for expectations. Layer your clothes and leave cotton at home! Rain gear was always in my daypack too along with a lightweight tarp and some paracord. Emergency lighter or matches are comforting to have, just in case.

In Pagosa, you need to try a green chile burger at Bear Creek Saloon - used to be very good but it's been a few years since we sold our cabin in the area.

Post any other elk hunting questions you might have. I spent 25 of the last 30 years in CO hunting elk, mule deer and antelope. Not saying I'm good at it but done it quite a few times!

doug1949

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wear layers of clothes. Plan for warm and cold weather. Watch YouTube vids about field dressing elk. Take two sharp knives for field dressing. Review CPW regulations about types of orange to wear and how much meat to pack out. Carry as much water as you can. State wide success rate is around 30%, so you may not kill an elk the first year( I didn't either). Usually takes time to learn how to hunt an area for elk, so enjoy exploring a wilderness area few people ever get to see. good luck and think about your safety first.

doug1949

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
wear layers of clothes. plan for warm and cold weather. review CPW regulations. carry meat bags, two sharp knives and plenty of water. carry radios for communication and first aid kit.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toothpick, altitude may be your nemesis. If you can get there a day or two early, that would help alot. Once you get into CO, drink as much water as you can stand especially if start getting a headache. There's a prescription for altitude adjusting but don't recall the name......
OKRuss is correct. Altitude sickness, also called acute mountain sickness (AMS), can become a medical emergency, which includes death, if ignored. I have hunted elk in Colorado most of my life and killed more than my share and in my youth the physical aspect was the most critical at 7-9000 feet. Now that I am a bit older, breathing at those altitudes has become more of a challenge.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Group
Staying in Rv some knowledge and some greenhorns
I’m the lone rookie mainly concerned about weather and how I’ll handle the altitude, I can get up early and take it slow.
@ OKRuss I will bring my 400 gram Rockies and work in a 10 story building so I plan to hit the stairwell in the new Danners. So far, the problem is I haven’t hit the stairwell much because when I’m at work, well I generally work. LOL

Have you been to the mountains recently and had trouble with altitude? If so take a couple of days to get to your destination, and drink a case of water on the way. That's the only way my friend from Louisiana handles it when he goes to MT every other year. His elevation at home is about 30' above sea level lol. He's in his 30's, pretty good shape but has always had trouble with altitude if he doesn't take it slow getting there. If he flies to a city with high altitude he'll be sick and in bed for a couple of days before he can do anything.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to arrive on Thursday
Hunt starts Saturday I will ask doc about meds. Haven’t been in this altitude since I was 10, I remember my little sister had headaches. I was fine but who knows, never been seasick on pretty rough seas, but may loose my cookies the next time out.
Base camp is at 8300 ft, some guys hit 12,000ft, I will see how I do and try not to overdo it. Buddy plans to bring a mule, I told him I’d furnish alfalfa, carrots or whatever she wants. Lol
Great advice from y’all. I don’t expect to kill a bull, but that would be an awesome bonus. I think I can spend a little more and buy a bear tag but the guys don’t usually see them 2nd season, but did see fresh tracks last year.
You guys are great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom