Colorado Elk hunting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have company! Same time, nearly same place.
I am invited to go with a contractor I work for a lot and his companions. They have been going 20+ years. My first trip. South of Pagosa is the area they frequent. Tents, the big army tents. Each have their own and then a big grub tent. (One has an extra tent I hope to use) I have nothing so far but a good heater. Fun next couple months raiding all the gear closets of friends and family.
I don't care if I fire a shot, just glad to get away and have a few days off.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toothpick, sorry if pointing out the obvious. If taking a mule or horse, check the requirements on feed and what you can take. Pretty specific I believe on not having any out of state hay or something along those lines.

Chadh2o, if you're camping at much of an altitude, most heaters won't work i.e. Mr. Buddy type propane ones. My suggestion is to borrow/buy a nice cot along with an air mattress and a good sleeping bag. I don't sleep well so a good night's rest was more important than some other things that I would leave at home.

Best of luck to you both! Anxious to see some pictures and hear hunting stories.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've hunted north of Pagosa 3 times. All the elk are going to be pushed up high or even over the first mountains closest to the road. We would start hiking up the mountain at 3 am. It's crazy how long it takes to go up, but only a fraction of the time coming down. If you can get a mule deer tag as a well, I would recommend it. You'll see mule deer out the wazoo. Certain areas north of Pagosa have a pretty good bear population so keep your head on a swivel especially if you get a kill. Like the others have said, drink lots of water and give yourself a day to get acclimated.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toothpick, sorry if pointing out the obvious. If taking a mule or horse, check the requirements on feed and what you can take. Pretty specific I believe on not having any out of state hay or something along those lines.

Chadh2o, if you're camping at much of an altitude, most heaters won't work i.e. Mr. Buddy type propane ones. My suggestion is to borrow/buy a nice cot along with an air mattress and a good sleeping bag. I don't sleep well so a good night's rest was more important than some other things that I would leave at home.

Best of luck to you both! Anxious to see some pictures and hear hunting stories.
"if you're camping at much of an altitude, most heaters won't work . . . "

I lived for several years ('98- '05) in and around Woodland Park, Colorado at an elevation of almost 8500 ft. and found that heaters and stoves including propane, LGN, and white gas {camp fuel} work just fine. The only problems that you will find is that liquids boil quicker and at a lower temp and some recipes need to be adjusted (liquid content and bake time) for the higher altitude.

An interesting fact: any kind of carbonated beverage sold at the higher altitudes in Colorado contain a lower internal pressure because of the lower atmospheric pressure at that altitude. If you take any carbonated beverage purchased in the higher altitude areas of Colorado down to sea level, it will be almost totally 'flat' when opened because of that already reduced internal pressure inherent to the higher altitude bottling.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Get a good pair of binos - nowadays you can get some with good mil reticles or an LRF for ranging, but you will need some good glass. You'll spend 3/4 of your time walking and glassing. I also recommend getting something like a skedco to drag your animal out unless you're on horseback. Otherwise you are gonna be humping. Make sure you don't have a cheap riflescope but you also don't need a 3lb razor hd 27x. Re-zero your rifle when you get in camp. It's a rookie move to miss an animal when you're at 8000 ft alt because you're zeroed for here in OK.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chuckie, lived in COS those same years plus some so traveled though WP many, many times. I was only referring to Mr. Heater/Buddy types that run on propane. Mine would not operate consistently at the elevations you mention. From their website:
Maximum Elevation (Ft)7000 Ft

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a Mr Buddy and have used it many times camping @ Rio Grand Reservoir, elevation 8700, according to my GPS. It does tend to eat the little tanks tho. With the Mr Buddy and my propane Dewalt 20v forced air heater, a couple of 20# tanks, I expect to stay warm in the tent. I need to figure out how to connect a thermostat to the Dewalt.
Camping at elevation is not new to me. Camping at elevation in the cold is and I very much appreciate all input.
I have air mattress, foam top and -5* bags with flannel interior and an insert if necessary. I had not thought of a cot.
My feet are the real concern. They tend to get cold and stiffen in the Oklahoma cold. Trudging through the Colorado cold in snow adds a new level. I don't know if my ski socks (2 layer) will be advantageous over a good pair of heavy wool.
Backpack. Anyone have a good one for sale or rent?
Walking stick recommendations?
These guys run 4 wheels as far as they can, then hike. Luckily, I'm the 2nd to the youngest at 53. 5 are 70+. Debating on taking the Jeep or 4 wheeler. It would be the only Jeep. Heat for the ride up the mountain sounds nice.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mr Buddy and have used it many times camping @ Rio Grand Reservoir, elevation 8700, according to my GPS. It does tend to eat the little tanks tho. With the Mr Buddy and my propane Dewalt 20v forced air heater, a couple of 20# tanks, I expect to stay warm in the tent. I need to figure out how to connect a thermostat to the Dewalt.
Camping at elevation is not new to me. Camping at elevation in the cold is and I very much appreciate all input.
I have air mattress, foam top and -5* bags with flannel interior and an insert if necessary. I had not thought of a cot.
My feet are the real concern. They tend to get cold and stiffen in the Oklahoma cold. Trudging through the Colorado cold in snow adds a new level. I don't know if my ski socks (2 layer) will be advantageous over a good pair of heavy wool.
These guys run 4 wheels as far as they can, then hike. Luckily, I'm the 2nd to the youngest at 53. 5 are 70+. Debating on taking the Jeep or 4 wheeler. It would be the only Jeep. Heat for the ride up the mountain sounds nice.

I about have a heat stroke in my zero degree bag at 32 degrees out, and I get cold when I sleep.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guys I am hunting with use buddy heaters also.
I get cold feet in Ok also but usually sitting still in a tree stand or duck blind. I know that this will be a different type of hunting for me. I received my Danner 800 gr boots yesterday and hope to get 1000 stairs in with them and my plates today. Sock advice would be nice.
Best of luck Chad

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom