Colorado Elk hunting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We would start hiking up the mountain at 3 am. It's crazy how long it takes to go up, but only a fraction of the time coming down.
When i did this the first time on a cold morning I had on most of my clothes and got to a spot before shooting time. While sitting and sweating for about 20 min waiting for the sun a chill came over me being all sweaty and damp that my shooting ability went to 100 yds or less. I learned to go with very little clothes on, stop for 15 min cool down and change to dry hunting clothes from back pack.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been Elk hunting since 1986, I f you are hiking in put your longjohns and heavy coat in your backpack and hike in. Once you get where you are waiting you will cool down and than put your dry warm clothes on. I personally dont head out until shooting light because unlike whitetail deer, If you bump into Elk into the dark they might change drainage's on you . Good Luck and enjoy!

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you have better luck with them than the chinese pair my brother bought that lasted 6 months!

I have a pair of Danner Canadians that are over 20 years old and need sent back for a rebuild!
I had some Danners that had been resoled so many times, they said they couldnt do them anymore. Great Boots!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mr Buddy and have used it many times camping @ Rio Grand Reservoir, elevation 8700, according to my GPS. It does tend to eat the little tanks tho. With the Mr Buddy and my propane Dewalt 20v forced air heater, a couple of 20# tanks, I expect to stay warm in the tent. I need to figure out how to connect a thermostat to the Dewalt.
Camping at elevation is not new to me. Camping at elevation in the cold is and I very much appreciate all input.
I have air mattress, foam top and -5* bags with flannel interior and an insert if necessary. I had not thought of a cot.
My feet are the real concern. They tend to get cold and stiffen in the Oklahoma cold. Trudging through the Colorado cold in snow adds a new level. I don't know if my ski socks (2 layer) will be advantageous over a good pair of heavy wool.
Backpack. Anyone have a good one for sale or rent?
Walking stick recommendations?
These guys run 4 wheels as far as they can, then hike. Luckily, I'm the 2nd to the youngest at 53. 5 are 70+. Debating on taking the Jeep or 4 wheeler. It would be the only Jeep. Heat for the ride up the mountain sounds nice.
As a past avid backpacker whom has used both a hiking staff and hiking poles, I highly recommend a pair of hiking poles rather than the single staff because the poles use are much easier on the knees and provide better support, especially when going down hill. I also recommend a site that, even though area specific, has much good information for anyone hiking or doing wilderness camping - WhiteBlaze.com - Appalachian Trail Information and Hiking Articles

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a past avid backpacker whom has used both a hiking staff and hiking poles, I highly recommend a pair of hiking poles rather than the single staff because the poles use are much easier on the knees and provide better support, especially when going down hill. I also recommend a site that, even though area specific, has much good information for anyone hiking or doing wilderness camping - WhiteBlaze.com - Appalachian Trail Information and Hiking Articles
I’ve never thought of hiking poles.
And by the way I plan to finish my beer before coming down from the mountains. Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toothpick, altitude may be your nemesis. If you can get there a day or two early, that would help alot. Once you get into CO, drink as much water as you can stand especially if start getting a headache. There's a prescription for altitude adjusting but don't recall the name.
They sell those bottles of oxygen all over in the mountains. I've wondered about trying one to see if they can help on a climb up the mountain. Not a spring chicken anymore so I'm curious if one of those might help. We hunt in the 8500' to 10,000' altitude.
10 years ago walking up and down wasn't an issue but every year gets harder.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My feet are the real concern. They tend to get cold and stiffen in the Oklahoma cold. Trudging through the Colorado cold in snow adds a new level. I don't know if my ski socks (2 layer) will be advantageous over a good pair of heavy wool.
Backpack. Anyone have a good one for sale or rent?
Walking stick recommendations?
My feet used to get so cold, I couldn't hunt. More and more layers to try and help.
What I found out was that more layers developed sweat getting the socks wet and creating the problem.
Now just use Marino wool socks in one layer and a boot big enough to walk in and give some air space. Feet warm now!
I use the walmart walking stick available in the camping section. Expandable to fit your height and the terrain. They have a dual tip. Flared for snow and a carbide tip so they will not slide off rocks. I remove the flare, but it's available.
When our group elk hunts, I'm usually the only one with a back pack. It's typically ditched half way up on a stalk to come back to later for knives, etc.
We hunt on a working ranch with access roads so recovery is by vehicle.
I bought and modified a big plastic sled that is used in the great lakes for taking supplies out to fishing shanties to recover elk either by hand or by ATV or SBS. It's been used successfully more than once.
One just has to adjust for the area/terrain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom