colorado getting a nuke power plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work for Xcel. They started on the process of getting that nuke plant in CO about 10-15 years ago......
It takes a loooooong time to get one approved.

1626797674935.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every state needs one, or two.
Oklahoma just about had one back in the late 70’s. Regulatory paperwork was just about to be signed but the Oklahoma Corporation Commission got wet feet from the Black Fox nuke project that was so heavily protested.
that’s how OG&E ended up with two coal burners at Sooner power plant with room and infrastructure to add three more, but the demand wasn’t there at the time for future additions.
It’s a long story..

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need to be building more nuclear power plants if we ever want to have real "green energy" That and hydro electric are the only two that really work at this stage of tech development. Tidal could work too in certain areas. We need to build them and use them to help power desalination plants along with charging electric cars for city dwellers.

I forget the name of it but there is one type of nuclear plant that is much safer and the waste has a much shorter half life.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here it is. I think they are going to build a test reactor soon.

"A thorium-salt reactor, which is a type of molten-salt reactor, promises a safer kind of nuclear power. It's designed to protect itself against meltdown, and it's also not as easy to weaponize like uranium. ... This could, at least in theory, consume used nuclear fuel from ordinary uranium-based fission reactors."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need to be building more nuclear power plants if we ever want to have real "green energy" That and hydro electric are the only two that really work at this stage of tech development. Tidal could work too in certain areas. We need to build them and use them to help power desalination plants along with charging electric cars for city dwellers.

I forget the name of it but there is one type of nuclear plant that is much safer and the waste has a much shorter half life.
I think it’s a fusion plant that produces so much waste vs a fission plant that eats its own waste that Your thinking of?
I may have that backwards?

Latest posts

Top Bottom