Colorado Places and Beauty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had a couple of different snowfalls lately. The first one was a week or so ago and was about 6" deep. The second came about 3 or 4 days later (maybe a bit longer) and was only about 2" deep. The images below are of the second snowfall. I'm pretty sure that the mountains in the far distance are the Sangre de Cristo range.

We try to take a brisk walk of about 1.4 miles each chance we get, and at least once or twice on those days that we do. All of the first three pictures were taken on that walk, with this one being just a short ways up the road from the RV park.

There is also a road/trail of sorts that goes up on the mountain behind the RV park, and we take that one on occasion to get better views around the area. While going up that route, we encountered a bunch of these. The deer and turkeys still wander through the RV park, and a lot of times they walk right through our site.

The owner of the park was in the lounge area of the office building when we came back from taking these photos. He told us that we picked a darn good time to walk around and take pictures. According to him, it is unusual (maybe 4 or 5 times a year) that there are nice blue skies after a snowfall.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
Nipple Mountain, outside of Pagosa Springs. How could any red blooded American male deny the beauty of a place with a name like that?

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great Thread Terry... enjoyed everyone's pictures. I ride out in Colorado some with my Brother-in-law who is from the Springs and love being west of there - just about anywhere.

I spend a lot of time in Northern Idaho way up in the Panhandle, about 30 miles from the Canadian border and its a whole different feel. Elevation is not nearly so high and the trees are thick as grass.

I don't take pictures like you do - certainly not with anything but my phone but this is one of my favorites. My best friend took it before he passed away. We're ice fishing on a lake and he snapped this of me walking back after investigating a bald eagles nest. I just really loved the sweep of that mountain with the trees covered in snow. Seemed kind of epic.

Jan06Perkinsview.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to see some more photos being posted here by the rest of you. Just about every one of Colorado makes me have an itch to go see more. However, it looks like we'll start saving up money for another trip in the future. One of our nephews, whose mother lives in Colorado Springs, is a contract worker for the Air Force over in the Middle East. He hopes to hang-up that job in about a year to a year and a half. One of the first things he wants to do when he returns is take his mother on a road trip up to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California, and he wants the wife and I to go along. That boy loves to pick on me, and he's afraid that if it is just him and his mother, they might get bored. Needless to say, we want to go and a LOT of photos will be taken on that trip.

But, back to Colorado for now. We spent a couple of days over Christmas with that Colorado Springs sister and got back to our RV yesterday evening to see 5 new inches of snow on the ground. Then overnight, we got another 3 inches. So, I took a lot of snow pictures today. Below are a few, one of which was also posted in a thread in General Discussions.

Those were all taken this morning, and this afternoon, I took a walk around our 1.4 mile loop taking more. I took around 130 photos on the loop, but I've not had a chance yet to look them over and resize any for posting here on the forums. So, for now, you'll all have to settle for just these few.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
One of my favorite places to be in Colorado: Comanche National Grassland. (pictures below is of Picture Canyon)

A lot of neat stuff to see if you know where to look. And to the assholes that carve (or have carved) their names all over the old rock drawings: I hope you feel really bad for destroying history.

i1280.photobucket.com_albums_a488_PanhandleGlocker_picturecanyon_zpse7cf7f4b.jpg

i1280.photobucket.com_albums_a488_PanhandleGlocker_picturecanyon2_zps26b4cabf.jpg

i1280.photobucket.com_albums_a488_PanhandleGlocker_picturecanyon3_zpseedf99c1.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite places to be in Colorado: Comanche National Grassland. (pictures below is of Picture Canyon)

A lot of neat stuff to see if you know where to look. And to the assholes that carve (or have carved) their names all over the old rock drawings: I hope you feel really bad for destroying history.

I love that country up there. Never got to go to Picture Canyon when I was working up there, didn't have a truck and didn't have time to hike in. Always wanted to and still do.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, Panhandle Glocker. I was raised in Keyes, Oklahoma and I can't believe that in all the years there, I never even knew of the landscape of Comanche National Grassland. I had heard of it, but I figured that it was pretty much like the Cimarron National Grassland area was. I guess I need to do more research on the area, including getting maps, and check it out sometime. Looks like a great place to photograph.

Thanks for the mention of it and the pictures.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The dirt road to Picture Canyon makes you think "wow. there is no way there is anything out here." Then flat turns into rocks and a canyon. It really is something to check out, Terry. There is an arch rock out there too. The trail to it is about 4 miles from the campground. I haven't been to it in years. Last time I checked out a lot of the country was on horseback. You see more that way.

I went to it a few weekends ago and took some of the above pictures. Just had my ol iPhone 5s. I am looking into purchasing a good camera and lense and head back out into that area. Stay tuned...

Latest posts

Top Bottom