Colorado Restoration of Gray Wolves initiative qualifies for 2020 ballot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this passes Colorado will soon see game species decline and lost hunting revenue not to mention livestock depredation. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are already feeling the pains of wolf restoration.

Restoration in Colorado could also mean packs possibly moving into Utah and New Mexico in the years to come.

“Restoration of Gray Wolves” Initiative Qualifies For 2020 Ballot

The Elections Division at the Colorado Secretary of State’s office announced today that Proposed Initiative 107 (“Restoration of Gray Wolves”) has qualified for the 2020 General Election ballot.

The “Restoration of Gray Wolves” Initiative is a statewide initiative and therefore requires at least 5% of the total number of votes cast for all candidates for the office of secretary of state at the previous general election, which in this case is 124,632. This requirement is outlined by Article V, Section 1 (3) of the Colorado constitution. After reviewing a 5% sample of the 215,370 submitted signatures, the projected number of valid signatures is greater than 110% of the total number required.

Random Sample Verification Summary:

Total number of qualified signatures submitted - 215,370
5% of qualified signatures submitted (random sample) - 10,769
Total number of entries accepted (valid) from the random sample - 6,967
Total number of the entries rejected (invalid) from the random sample - 3,802
Number of projected valid signatures from the random sample - 139,333
Total number of signatures required for placement on ballot - 124,632
Projected percentage of required valid signatures - 111.80%

The Calculation of Sufficiency is available here. The text of the “Restoration of Gray Wolves” Initiative is available here. A record of all accepted and rejected signatures, including reasons for each rejection is on file with the Secretary of State.
The other initiatives approved for the 2020 ballot at this time are Senate Bill 19-042 National Popular Vote Referendum and Initiative 76 (“Citizen Qualification of Electors”).

Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold
1700 Broadway, Suite 200, Denver CO 80290
www.sos.state.co.us | 303-894-2200

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/Initiatives/titleBoard/filings/2019-2020/107Final.pdf

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colorado better hope this doesn't pass, but unfortunately it probably will because of the bleeding heart dimocrats that have migrated to that state from other states they evacuated from while bringing their liberal policies with them.
I've said it before, introducing wolves to "control" game vs allowing humans to hunt them is a backdoor gun control and anti-hunting initiative brought by the anti hunting crowd, and it's very effective.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, it may very well be a backdoor gun control/anti-hunting agenda. For the life of me I don't know why they would want to introduce the wolf back into the Colorado ecosystem. These aren't the Disney cartoon wolf, they are an apex killing machine without equal. Moose will be the first to decline, then the elk, followed by Mule Deer. You'll also see a decline in Mountain Lion. Ranchers will loose money due to cow/calf loss and stresses put on momma cows during breading season with a wolf pack in the area. Ranchers will no longer be able to use cow dogs for herding and may have additional expense if they need to hire wranglers if they drive their cattle to distant spring/summer BLM grazing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, it may very well be a backdoor gun control/anti-hunting agenda. For the life of me I don't know why they would want to introduce the wolf back into the Colorado ecosystem. These aren't the Disney cartoon wolf, they are an apex killing machine without equal. Moose will be the first to decline, then the elk, followed by Mule Deer. You'll also see a decline in Mountain Lion. Ranchers will loose money due to cow/calf loss and stresses put on momma cows during breading season with a wolf pack in the area. Ranchers will no longer be able to use cow dogs for herding and may have additional expense if they need to hire wranglers if they drive their cattle to distant spring/summer BLM grazing.
The ranchers in Montana, etc are actually OK with the wolf thing. The Government dept and tree huggers have a clause in the legislation to pay them for livestock losses, and it pays very well with little proof that a wolf actually caused the death.
It's ALWAYS a wolf kill.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ranchers in Montana, etc are actually OK with the wolf thing. The Government dept and tree huggers have a clause in the legislation to pay them for livestock losses, and it pays very well with little proof that a wolf actually caused the death.
It's ALWAYS a wolf kill.

That's true but their calf crop has declined due to stresses on momma cows during breading season and the government does not pay for the loss of a nursing calf or unborn calf when the momma cow is killed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's true but their calf crop has declined due to stresses on momma cows during breading season and the government does not pay for the loss of a nursing calf or unborn calf when the momma cow is killed.
Jerk that baby out, and call it a kill!
Didn't know that about a nursing calf. Those are prey for everything from bobcats, coyotes to wolves.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's ALWAYS a wolf kill.

That's exactly what they want... to create dependence on government welfare.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wolves are an important part of the ecosystem.

Much of the anti-wolf hysteria very closely matches the tactics of anti-gunners. Half-truths, fear mongering, and distortions.

Domestic dogs and coyotes kill more cattle than wolves in other areas of reintroduction (dogs more than twice as many and coyotes almost 10x as many). (USDA, 2015)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/general/downloads/cattle_calves_deathloss_2015.pdf

A solid management plan that includes keeping the wolf population in check is obviously required though.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to agree with SMS. A lot of times something will make a kill and a wolf or bear comes along and eats some of the kill. The wolf or bear will get the blame when most of the time it is feral dog packs, etc.

When I lived south of Welston many years ago there were a few calves, colts, deer and a lot of chickens killed. People were blaming wolfs, (none around) bears, (really, really rare) you name it. Then we had a big grass fire that got into the trees. A huge dog pack came pouring out of the trees. My father and I counted over 30 in that one pack and all of them were large breeds. When all was said and done it turns out the dogs that people dumped and that survived, turned out to be the biggest threat.

Heck if I am out in the country by myself at night I wear a 357. It is not for wolfs, big cats, hogs, etc. It is for protection from snakes, rabid animals, and feral dogs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom